Kramer "Lucky Peach" knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the few Kramers I have seen that I think is alright.

I'm guessing,but I think that the Lucky Peach knife is a shout out to KKF member mattrud(whos knives were featured on the back cover of Lucky Peach vol#3) who owns a very similar Kramer.

Why does Kramer's chef knives have that bow look to them? Is there some kind of ergonomic reason?

I think it's pretty cool looking. Not an all purpose knife though.

Haha what?! That is literally the first Kramer I have *ever* seen that looks like something I could use on a regular basis. The handle is a wee bit too big proportionally for the blade (IMHO), but who am I to judge a cat who brings in more for one knife than I make in a year. Lulz.

I'm guessing,but I think that the Lucky Peach knife is a shout out to KKF member mattrud(whos knives were featured on the back cover of Lucky Peach vol#3) who owns a very similar Kramer.

I cut out that back cover and it hangs with some other art in my living room. Will post a pic later...

it's very pretty, but i think it might be too flat, honestly.

I agree. Shortening flat spot at the heel and raising the tip a bit (and the curve to connect the flat spot and the tip) would make it a better profile, IMHO, but it is definitely along the line of the knives we are used to here.

Hmm, do you guys thing that this is knife nuts influence over the design? I'd say yes! :)

M

IIRC, Matt asked for his knife to be based on a Shigefusa. I think it may have more of a curve up from the belly to the tip but the way the photo was taken, it looks like there's a really long flat spot along the edge.

I wonder if Matt was consulted on this when Kramer made this one.

I have Shigefusa on hand and though this profile resembles it, it is not a copy. Shigefusa's flat spot is shorter and spine doesn't drop toward the tip as much as on BK.

M

Haha what?! That is literally the first Kramer I have *ever* seen that looks like something I could use on a regular basis. The handle is a wee bit too big proportionally for the blade (IMHO), but who am I to judge a cat who brings in more for one knife than I make in a year. Lulz.

I was thinking the same thing. Finally a profile I would use...

I have Shigefusa on hand and though this profile resembles it, it is not a copy. Shigefusa's flat spot is shorter and spine doesn't drop toward the tip as much as on BK.

M

from that pic, it looks more like the Masamoto KS i owned (except even flatter) than the Shig i have. a pic can be very deceiving through.

I designed the knife. Told Bob what I wanted and he made it. He made one. Sent it to me but thought he noticed an imperfection in the photo he took. So he called back the delivery and made another. He brought the new one to me. When he saw the one he had called back there was actually nothing wrong, that was the one that was auctioned off.

It is modeled after a shigefusa. But the grind is better. It has a long flat spot but a gradual progression that really can not be seen in a photo. It is tailored to how I cut and like a knife to be i.e. a custom knife.

"I designed the knife. Told Bob what I wanted and he made it."

Nice! Yours seems to be a bit taller/a bit more belly than the one they auctioned off.Hard to tell just from the photos.
Both beautiful knives indeed.

Please do! Thanks.

Regards,

Mark

Okay, here is where the cutout has sat for a few months:

IMG_0911.jpg

I took it out today, because when I cut it out, I cut it with an old razor, and it wasnt exactly even on the left side:

IMG_0912.jpg

Before posting here, my plan was to take it to Kinkos this afternoon and even out the left side. However I met a former coworker for happy hour and we got drunk. So that's pushed back until tomorrow. So I will post the finished product when it's done. FYI the other pic's centered here are pieces I took out of a random graffiti book purchased at Borders.

Funny thing about this issue of The Lucky Peach. As it was discussed in another thread, this issue weighs the ups and downs of going to Culinary School. I actually took it in to show to my lead instructor and he made copies and shared it with the whole department.

I can't wait to see some of these(if not all) in person next weekend!

Ofcourse. What was I thinking. It's perfect!! The size of the handle made the heel seem shorter than it actually is I guess.

Shig-esque profile, named after a magazine owned by a guy who employs a serious knife nut? Yep, smells like kkf.

I'm sure his IP address is logged here from time to time. Hey, Mr. Kramer!

Back