2nd Attempt at a Magnetic Knife Rack

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I decided to go about things differently with this try.
It doesn't matter how the rack looks if it does not function correctly.

I tried a few different spacings and think I found what will work best.
My goals were for the strip to hold the knife secure, but not too hard to remove. And for the knife not to spin on the strip.

Here I have 2 pieces of wood I will be using for the test mock up.
I drilled out holes for the magnets with a spacing that I think might work. The other piece is so I can figure out how thin I need the wood to be that will be covering the magnets.
mr002.jpg

Magnets in place
mr003.jpg

Taped to hold them in
mr004.jpg

Now the 2 pieces taped together. Surface piece is still too thick.
mr006.jpg

Had to go pretty thin for a good secure hold.
mr007.jpg

Taped pieces together to give it a try. I didn't have any kitchen knives here so I used a couple files.
mr008.jpg

Looks like it might work.
Now I will take the dummy strip home and see what happens with actual kitchen knives.

Mark, I'd like to hear more --- what size magnets, how much pull, how thin the veneer, etc. A buddy and I are scoring and drying some local burls and are thinking about making magnetic strips and blocks, etc.

If I was making a magnetic rack, I would stagger the magnets so that the knives will stick at any location rather than wanting to be over a vertical column of magnets. I have never used a magnetic rack, but I could see knives wanting to possibly collide depending on blade height and spacing.

I quite liked the looks of the first attempt.

I have seen magnetic strips/roll.. an inch wide or so, cut length to fit.

Not sure if it was an industrial grade for this type of holding strength though... but it would seem a lot simpler than all those holes and bitty round magnets if these were to be produced in any volume.

That seems like a lot of magnets. I have a cheap one that I bought off of etsy and though it works, my blades often rotate a bit as if something is possessing it. I like the idea of trying to stager them. With that said, your version has probably 4x the magnets of mine, so I wonder if there is a way to achieve limited rotation with fewer magnets. You are almost getting to the point that doing magnetic bars would be easier.

k.

That seems like a lot of magnets. I have a cheap one that I bought off of etsy and though it works, my blades often rotate a bit as if something is possessing it. I like the idea of trying to stager them. With that said, your version has probably 4x the magnets of mine, so I wonder if there is a way to achieve limited rotation with fewer magnets. You are almost getting to the point that doing magnetic bars would be easier.

k.

Are you placing the knives pointed upwards? If not, that may explain the rotation. I always store them pointed upwards just in case if they were to fall off they don't land point ed down snapping off the tip.

Are you placing the knives pointed upwards? If not, that may explain the rotation. I always store them pointed upwards just in case if they were to fall off they don't land point ed down snapping off the tip.

Yeah, I point the knives upwards but the rack is just poorly designed. I think it is too narrow and they used too few magnets so if you put the knife in the middle of the magnets it will 'move' to the nearest one on its own.

k.

I am very happy now.
This placement of magnets works great.
A couple forum members had talked to me about other magnet strips and that influenced how I placed the magnets.

By keeping one directly above the other it gives a better hold and the knife does not turn or spin.

Spacing the magnets the way I have horizontally may be overkill but it makes it so I can place a knife anywhere on the strip and it holds good.

The thickness of the top layer is just under 1/8" thick. This gives a strong hold on the knives but also makes them easy to remove or place on the rack. Gentle but firm, if that makes any sense.

I grabbed these knives out of the junk drawer. Before you guys brought me to the light, this is what I used.
ks001.jpg

Turning at an angle the knives still don't shift.
ks003.jpg

Another check for hold.
ks002.jpg

Congratulations on your success! If you make it look like the first attempt. Put me on the list!

Okay Mark, you get a 'pass' on the knives, but not the dang handles. :eyebrow: Don't you know any good wood suppliers!!!!

Congrats on the working prototype. I''ll bet you can produce some real stunners with the woods you have.

Okay Mark, you get a 'pass' on the knives, but not the dang handles. :eyebrow: Don't you know any good wood suppliers!!!!

Congrats on the working prototype. I''ll bet you can produce some real stunners with the woods you have.

These have become gardening, weed pulling knives.

Here is some wood I am going to try out using a combo of cut and natural edge.
I am not sure if I will be able to cut off a thin slice and embed the magnets under that,
or if I will need to drill in from the back.
So I have 2 pieces I can mess up finding out which way to go.
kr002.jpg

If I was making a magnetic rack, I would stagger the magnets so that the knives will stick at any location rather than wanting to be over a vertical column of magnets. I have never used a magnetic rack, but I could see knives wanting to possibly collide depending on blade height and spacing.

I quite liked the looks of the first attempt.

+1 on the staggering.

Got a knife with a strong convex grind? Those are the ones that spin the most on me. Flat ones like that don't usually go anywhere.

Ever looking into magnetic shielding material? It helps focus the pull of the magnets.

When I tried it at home it was with a Harner Chef, Davis Gyuto, Rodrigue Slicer and a Yanagiba.
The current placement puts each knife being held with about 4 magnets.
I should look into the shielding material.

Are you by any chance selling these when you get them done, maybe even as an ongoing basis?

Are you by any chance selling these when you get them done, maybe even as an ongoing basis?

Most likely yes.
Now that I think I know what to do, I will make a few and be able to estimate the cost in time and materials.
I also will be getting other opinions how they feel and function in real life.
If I can make real good ones and keep the price reasonable I will offer some for sale here.
If they are real popular I will set up a web store for them.

Magnets in place
mr003.jpg

Did you put in all the magnets oriented the same way, as in all north or south ends facing the knives?

Thank you

I didn't pay attention to the N/S orientation.
By reviving this old thread it reminded me that I need to make some usable strips.

One of them is on the wall in my office holding blades that need handles.
I messed up the other one.

I haven't really decided to make them for sale or not.
A lot of my work area is outdoors under cover. Great for about 9 months of the year but right now "not so good".
When the days get longer and the weather better I will probably make some. When I do I will post them here.

Back