Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How kind is End Grain Tasmanian Blackwood on knives?

How kind is End Grain Tasmanian Blackwood on knives?

I just picked up this board from Peer Sorensen. It is an end grain 50x30x5 cm^3 made of Tasmanian Blackwood (some sort of Acacia). Do you guys have any experience with this wood for cutting board purpose?

First impression upon receiving is that it is a well made solid board with nice surface finish. Gotta get start using it soon.

Engorged Member
    What did you pay? That thing looks amazing!

On the bay it was 100 AUD or best offer .. + 20 shipping. Board is expensive around here, the other brand that advertises end grain tasmanian blackwood is "the big chop" butcher's block. But that board is too big for be and quite pricey retail.

I couldn't tell you, but I doubt it's "worse enough" that you'll notice any big difference.
    What I do know, is that's a beautiful frickin' board!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Not sure if its totally applicable re; end grain but that wood has a Janka hardness rating of 1720, to put this into perspective look at the following chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

Its not perfect but gives you an idea with regards to different species hardness, as it states there are many variables.
    Apparently its quite easy to work with although can have a complex structure (tear out common) so I'd say it would be
    fine with cutting tools. I'm sure the maker knows his stuff as long as you're not making a board out of a species such as
    lignum vitae I'm sure you'll be fine lol.

Thank dav. I saw that page while researching. Dave's Board Smith FAQ recommends number between 800-1600. 1700 is just a touch above. It seems that a lot of craftsmen in Australia/Tasmania in particular seem to use this wood a lot for cutting board, mostly edge grain though.

I've used it for dinner prep (grilled pork belly, rice, and sea veggie miso soup), so only did a bit of cutting on the board. I can see a lot more of cut marks compared with my previous cheaper boards, so it appears to be a bit softer, at least at the surface level.

I've used a board I made from end grain hard maple and purpleheart (Janka hardness 1860) and haven't found it to be be any harder on edges than my maple Boardsmith board, so I wouldn't worry about it. Good score!

Very nice looking board

Yup, we worry too much about this stuff, really.
    It's one hell of a board!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have a tassie black wood end grain board that I bought from a craftsman at a market in Victoria. It's awesome. It can feel a bit 'clacky' sometimes when I'm really going for it, but it seems to be more
    Forgiving on my edges than it feels. Love it.