Need some feed back on this handle design.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
Its loosely based on the Kramer "Diamond shape" handle, but a bit less angular.
I think this one could get slimmer on the side profiles for my hand. But this is the general idea. Twin ferrule/endcap design, the square is ground down, "on the diamond" with the corners out, and a sweeping taper on both ends, the top sharps are rounded. I think it feels nice and aids a handle grip just infront or further forward with comfort and control. What do you think?:biggrin:

20120524_174912.jpg

20120524_174951.jpg

20120524_175020.jpg

20120524_175025.jpg

You can pinch grip on the front of the handle
IMGP2677.jpg

Further forward
IMGP2678.jpg

IMGP2679.jpg

It looks nice to me, but really hard to say without feeling it in my hand.

A comfortable handle + a well chosen balance point suitable with your holding style that is adopted for the particular chore and comfortably suited with your cutting technique i suppose hopefully will become your go to knife for that task.

Not many people really analyse or realize what makes a very comfortable knife. Looks are secondary to me..

personally.. the rounding of the choil adn spine is paramountly important to me. No sharp edges on the metal and handle that will cause a callous index finger! thats no good!

I have not tested the wooded tapered wa handle to test... as I find this quest ( hopefully not a Holy Grail) interesting.. and will definitely request this handle type for the next knife.

Have fun
\
rgds
D

Its loosely based on the Kramer "Diamond shape" handle, but a bit less angular.
I think this one could get slimmer on the side profiles for my hand. But this is the general idea. Twin ferrule/endcap design, the square is ground down, "on the diamond" with the corners out, and a sweeping taper on both ends, the top sharps are rounded. I think it feels nice and aids a handle grip just infront or further forward with comfort and control. What do you think?:biggrin:

20120524_174912.jpg

20120524_174951.jpg

20120524_175020.jpg

20120524_175025.jpg

You can pinch grip on the front of the handle
IMGP2677.jpg

Further forward
IMGP2678.jpg

IMGP2679.jpg

It should work fine for a pinch grip.

M

Yeah I think that would feel nice in the pinch grip. Regular handles always have a void at 9 o'clock forcing your fingers to wrap back into the side of the handle.

I like it. It looks like it would be very comfortable to use and it's something a little different

Looks interesting and may be cutting edge and sell a lot. That being said when I get one of your knives to add to my collection I will go with your other style. I think your knives already border on perfection.

Many thanks for help Guys, and comments, your feedback is invaluable to me. I will continue to work on this style as an option and also offer the octagonal handle with the tapered front.

IMO, there's a reason for the "point" running along the right side of a "D" handle. It's a matter of style but I and I assume others use that ridge to assist in canting the blade slightly when using certain cutting methods. Also when using more of a finger tip type grip when working with delicate items it's invaluable in manuvering and rotating the knife in your hand quickly. It also makes for an obvious referance point for your fingers. Also I'm not a fan of a taper at the end of a handle. The pinky and ring finger need as much leverage as possible. Cutting down the end works against that. Even most Western handles have a larger end more or less for the same reason.

I'm a big "D" handle guy for the reasons stated above.

I think it has good and bad points. The taperd ferrule on my knife has proven to be more comfortable than the traditional wa shape as it allows for my thumb and fingers to lie in a more natural position. I agree that the mid section could do with losing a bit of belly. My bigest problem is with the endcap. I simply dont think the tapering works at the rear of the handle. I think it would look much better if it ran parallel with the thinner mid section.

Thanks very much for that, its given me a bit more direction with this. So possibly a right hand left hand version, with more of a ridge on one side to fit in the hand D style, with a more rounded part on the other side. I get what your saying about the taper at the back. My thoughts with this one were for the handle to fill the hand a bit more in the front/middle to try and give more stability that way. But I'll gladly take your comments on board.:biggrin:

Right some feedback from you guys was great. I have made some adaptions and am very happy with the result. Its a compromise. I think it feels great. My diamond D.
IMGP2834.jpg

IMGP2835.jpg

IMGP2836.jpg

IMGP2838.jpg

Let me know what you think, I like it so much I glued it on now,:D

Back