Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here

What do you use to roast at home? Been using the frying pan for a few years here with good success, but have been eyeing some of the roaster at sweetmaria's lately. Be nice to do a 12 ounces to a pound at a time.

Here is me frying up a batch of coffee for immediate consumption at a picnic a few years ago:
    http://farm1.staticflickr.com/85/280...57b_z.jpg?zz=1

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I use a Behmor. I've been wanting to buy a small batch roaster (pro variety) for so long, but it cost $3K+ just to get your foot in the door. Thought about getting a HotTop dozens of times, but don't know if the price is worth the money. I doubt it would be that more noticeable. In capable hands, the Behmor can make outstanding roasts, on par with many "pro" roasters and way better than anything you see in a grocery store (whole foods and Trader Joes included). If you considering a Behmor, you won't regret it. Best thing to happen to home roasting in decades. Since you have been doing it the hard (but educational) way, you will love the ease and probably already have the nose/ears for roasting stages. BTW, roastmasters.com is another good site and carry lots of good stuff. I see Behmors are out of stock many places though, good luck!
    Jason

Jason,
    Thanks for all the info. I'm going to check out the setup we have at work, maybe i can learn to optimize it.
    As for the home setup, I'll have to start with fresh coffee. Any new equipment and my fiancee is gonna kill me, I'm cut off for a bit.
    Question, do you really feel the moka only produce burnt coffee? My first brew burnt but I think since then It's gotten better. I'm starting with hot water bringing it up on low and pulling it from heat at the first sound of a boil or gurgle.
    Thanks

Thanks for coffee info Jason - ordered 3 lbs. from Red Bird Coffee

A couple of years ago my sister gave me an inexpensive Bodum French press and Capresso grinder for Christmas, neither of which I thought I wanted.

Life changing.

Most recent knife purchased - Franz Gude bread knife direct from Germany - thanks Stefan
    Agree with this http://www.solingenmade.com/messer-s...uede/franz.htm

If y'all are into coffee, you should check out Stumptown roasters. Seriously, their coffee was life changing for me.

I used to fly in Intelligentsia Black Cat for my espresso machine (which I posted over the coffee equipment thread), but Stumptown was head and shoulders above any of the Intelligentsia coffees I tried. Beware though, getting the right grind, tamp, and temp can be a little finicky with their coffees. Different temps will bring out different flavors, and you have to try a few times before you get the right cup profile.

Thank God I'm a tea drinker.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Right now I'm drinking a Stumptown's Ethiopian heirloom single origin espresso roast Americano. Yum!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Thank God I'm a tea drinker.
    If you're a tea drinker (I am too), next time you are state-side check out a Teavanna store... I easily drop 100-200 bucks on tea there every time I roll through.. O_O

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Right now I'm drinking a Stumptown's Ethiopian heirloom single origin espresso roast Americano. Yum!
    That sounds real good. I agree with you on the Americano. Their coffees are much better in americano form than in latte form. If you haven't tried it yet though (which you probably have), try scooping off the crema and throwing that away after you pour the shot, and before you pour in the hot water.

Coffee Klatch started doing that with their Americanos, I tried it out and instantly liked my Americano better. Also, the cup doesn't deteriorate nearly as much, which is really really nice.