Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 401

Thread: Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here

  1. #351
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,405
    i would season it top and bottom. not sure with the handle.

  2. #352
    daveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Just outside Tampa
    Posts
    1,373
    I like your mom.

    To season carbon or cast iron I borrow technique from wok sessoning. Warm skillet and rub with Canola, peanut or grapeseed oil. Inside and out. Light film. Into 400ish oven 30 - hr. Should be all seasoning outside needs. Rough chop at least a qt of onions while waiting.

    On stove top heat pan and lightly sweat a layer of onions w oil. Discard. Repeat w successive layers using less oil and increase carmalization. Wipe out w paper towels, (green scrubby if necc) between layers.

    After a few onion layers I go to mire poix and completely carmalize.

    No objective evidence supports this technique, but it works for me.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

  3. #353

  4. #354
    Senior Member
    mr drinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,169
    Well, I got my Iwatani torch for Christmas with a dozen bottles of butane. That should last me a while I am a little worried about getting my Sansaire circulator with all the delays. Anova might be on the horizon. I'll first see how my vintage vacuum sealer works as I might need to tinker with that first.

    k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

  5. #355
    Senior Member Justin0505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Mom hit it out of the park on this one:



    Now....how do you guys like to season these? booklet says, heat on stovetop, smear with oil, pour out, wipe until just moist, cool, put away.

    got something better?

    do you only season the cooking surface on these? or the entire thing, like with cast iron?
    Quote Originally Posted by Talim View Post
    Yep, that's the process that I used, except w/ lard.

    Also, a flexible metal spatula/ turner is invaluable in perventing build-up without damaging the seasoning.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

  6. #356

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,479
    Thanks everybody for the ideas!

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Yep, that's the process that I used, except w/ lard.

    Also, a flexible metal spatula/ turner is invaluable in perventing build-up without damaging the seasoning.
    so you didn't do the bottom of yours?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  7. #357
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Mom hit it out of the park on this one:



    Now....how do you guys like to season these? booklet says, heat on stovetop, smear with oil, pour out, wipe until just moist, cool, put away.

    got something better?

    do you only season the cooking surface on these? or the entire thing, like with cast iron?
    I've wanted one of those Eiffel tower versions for a long time! There is a post here with suggestions, but honestly, the bundled instructions work fine, though I use Crisco instead of oil, and you'll likely want to do it a few times (and make sure to remove any wax, which will likely be present on any Mineral B pan, with BKF and elbow grease!). I do smear a bit of oil/Crisco on the bottoms of carbon pans, but I really don't worry about it. Pouring out jus and just using them really takes care of those parts that aren't seasoned, honestly. Love my carbon pans! I've got a lot of good pans, including a lot of good copper, including some crazy awesome hundred year old stuff, and I use my carbons the most, honestly. I don't know why I said "honestly" so much, in this post, honestly.

  8. #358
    Senior Member Justin0505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Yep, that's the process that I used, except w/ lard.

    Also, a flexible metal spatula/ turner is invaluable in perventing build-up without damaging the seasoning.



    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Thanks everybody for the ideas!



    so you didn't do the bottom of yours?
    No, I do season the whole thing just like the video. What im talking about is that no matter how good the seasoning is, you will occasionally get bits of burnt gunk stuck to the bottom of it. The metal spat allows you to scrape it down to the smooth seasoned layer an prevent a sticky, crusty buildup.

    My cleaning procedure is to scrape w/ the spat while the pan is still hot, dump the chunks, the place a folded wet paper towel in the pan and use the spatula to wipe it around. The steam helps to loosen any little bits and you dont run the risk of warping a hot pan in the sink.
    Once its cooled a bit, you can do a final rinse in the sink.
    Dry by placing it back on the heat, and repair any damage to the seasoning w/ a quick wipe of the fat/oil if your choice.

    It sounds long all written out, but I clean 3 pans every night and it takes less than 5min total.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

  9. #359
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,643
    That sounds about right to me.

  10. #360

    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    No, I do season the whole thing just like the video. What im talking about is that no matter how good the seasoning is, you will occasionally get bits of burnt gunk stuck to the bottom of it. The metal spat allows you to scrape it down to the smooth seasoned layer an prevent a sticky, crusty buildup.

    My cleaning procedure is to scrape w/ the spat while the pan is still hot, dump the chunks, the place a folded wet paper towel in the pan and use the spatula to wipe it around. The steam helps to loosen any little bits and you dont run the risk of warping a hot pan in the sink.
    Once its cooled a bit, you can do a final rinse in the sink.
    Dry by placing it back on the heat, and repair any damage to the seasoning w/ a quick wipe of the fat/oil if your choice.

    It sounds long all written out, but I clean 3 pans every night and it takes less than 5min total.
    Sorry, poor word choice on my part..by bottom, I meant the outside of the pan, the part that touches the heat source. that still looked brand new in the video.

    I've done what you describe with my cast iron for many years now...trivial post-cooking tasks....like 1-2 minutes.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •