Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here

just took a look at that webpage for choppablock, I dig the long boards. reminds me of the line boards at restaurants. side note, i picked up a tamamoku cedar mag block from maxim. It had a slightly uneven coat of a wood treatment on it, not sure maybe shellac. Anyways i sanded it off. Started at 80 grit sandpaper all the way up to a nice mirror finish at 12000 micromesh. Oiling as I type.
    http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...tic-knife-bar/

Jagjit

My wife knew I've been wanting a pressure cooker for a while now. Been researching the khun but she pulled the trigger for me before I could. So I just got my 21 q all-american pressure cooker up and running. Going to roast some bones And make a bone broth for her as the first cook.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421537206.661864.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	26023

Quote Originally Posted by erickso1 View Post
    My wife knew I've been wanting a pressure cooker for a while now. Been researching the khun but she pulled the trigger for me before I could. So I just got my 21 q all-american pressure cooker up and running. Going to roast some bones And make a bone broth for her as the first cook.

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421537206.661864.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	26023
    Those are ventless, right? Should be nice.

If you look to the top right there is a vent. They come with a vent weight which sits over the top to allow 5 10 or 15 psi cooking. The whole thing is super solid and heavy. Should last a long time. Here's some pics of the weight on the vent.

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421546644.739310.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	26024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421546661.109544.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	26025

What I mean by ventless is that during normal cooking they don't vent constantly.

That's actually more of a pressure canner, but can be used a a pressure cooker in a very similar way. I do like the total ventlessness of a pressure cooker (I have wmf ones), but nothing beats the ability to get 19 cans in that monster.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    What I mean by ventless is that during normal cooking they don't vent constantly.
    Sorry Edipis, I'm pretty new to these so I didn't understand your question. You are correct. It is ventless. You crank the lid down, turn the heat on high until weight rattles once, then reduce heat ( I found that just less then medium heat worked) until the weight rattles (vents steam) about 2 - 3 times per minute. It took a dry run (well, wet run with just water) to get the stove temp right, but now that I know it should be pretty quick. We cooked the bone broth at 10 psi for 45 minutes. Came out really well. We used 8 cups of it in a Brown Windsor Soup recipe from Jamie Oliver that our family likes. And as Strumke notes, it is more of a pressure canner, which I hope to get into here in the near future. Hope being the operative word.

When a pressure cooker is ventless, it means that it stays totally sealed, unless it exceeds the maximum pressure for the safety releases. Search for WMF, Fagor, Kuhn Rikon and those work in that manner. When these reach pressure, they lock closed, stay totally sealed, and won't open until the pressure goes down (either naturally or manually). They also have a few different kinds of back up releases just in case the primary one gets clogged or stuck (to avoid an explosion).

The difference is that in order to know you're at pressure with this one (vented), you want the weight to jiggle or sputter a couple of times a minute to know that you're really at the 15psi and not a bit below.

The main difference is how well it seals everything inside. You'll still get great food, I find this to be more finicky than the other ones I mentioned. I have one of these too (model 921) and use it as a pressure canner as opposed to a pressure cooker. The other sticking point for me is the All-American’s are aluminum, and I prefer to cook with stainless when the food is in contact with the vessel.

Pressure cooked stock is awesome, and since you have such a large pot, you can make a huge batch and then freeze it off. I do that once or twice a year, but I need to make multiple batches with my 8qt pressure cooker.

There's a site - HipPressureCooking.com that has a lot of great info and good recipies to start off with.

Happy (pressure) cooking!

I finally got a ThermaPen. This is a lightly used old style one. About twice as fast as my Taylor "Instant Read" thermocouple thermometer, and much better built (though the Taylor 9867 is a pretty good product). I don't mind the old style, as I don't need tenths of a degree, I saved $40, and the old style seems to be less prone to slipping out of the hand.