Quantcast
Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here - Page 6
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here

That oven is awesome! Keep us posted!

I'm jealous!!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Nice oven Tom looks great man, I am also jealous. I'll be having the in-laws over tomorrow unfortunately, I'll have to get down that way sometime to check it out soon though. The BGE will be smoking some ribs though, so not a total loss.

more brick oven pics.....

Keep in mind, this oven was built from retired kiln bricks and shelves, and scavenged blocks. It's like an ugly child -- only good looking to it's parents Last night a couple of friends came over and we fired off 3 pies, some stuffed breads, and loaves of Estonian black bread and boules of whole wheat and rye. I didn't take the oven up to 800+ as I wasn't sure how this dough recipe would respond. Instead, we just let it cruise along at around 700. It's Peter Reinhart's neo-neopolitan recipe from his book American Pie. In less than a minute, the bottom was crisp enough to slide the pizza around. I'll let the pix tell the rest of the story..........

Oh yeah, the breads were baked at around 500 for about 20 minutes, and have a superior crust!
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Nice!

Where ist the 'Like' button? Looks great, makes me wish I had a sclice right now and I haven't even had breakfast...

Stefan

damn that's nice.

How is that vented
    the pizza looks great
    can not beat the outcome of the product for the little oven that could.

Steeley, it's not vented, other than the front door. I did quite a bit of research on traditional ovens prior to building this one, and found that most did not have chimneys. If it were inside, I'd definitely build a chimney, but as this is in an old kiln shed, open across the front, it's not a problem. It does smoke some initially, but once the heat builds up (500 degrees maybe?) there is no smoke. Go figure. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation. Does that answer your question? There is a rough ratio of door height to ceiling height, based on traditional ovens, that seems to make venting of any sort unnecessary.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Thank you yes that answered my question.