Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the ideal omelette pan

the ideal omelette pan

Shopping for a new omelette pan and tired of ripping through the cheap non-stick pans that make omelette creation a breeze. I've tried a few of my deBuyer pans but hate the transition from bottom to sides on the skillets and on the crepe pan I find the sides are not high enough (I like to whip the pan around a bit while cooking). I have a country pan but that seems a bit awkward for this.

The easiest and likely solution will be to try the 'new' deBuyer omelette pan . The shape appears to be about perfect (especially the side transition), the height of the sides looks nice as well. The down side to the deBuyer is that I already have 5 other deBuyer pans as well as a few cast iron pans and thinking I may like to go lower maintenance with this purchase.

I found a few stainless that look to be a decent shape; Viking, All-Clad, and Demeyere (the Demeyere is above budget). I currently have mostly All-Clad stainless and while some people don't like the All-Clad handles I find them completely comfortable. What other brands would be good options? If I go stainless what would be the difference cooking with the 5 layer vs 3 (my current stuff is all 3 layer). Any opinions on this would ideally be directed strictly to making omelettes (I like French and Country omelettes a la Pepin). Unfortunately I'm currently cooking on electric which sucks but is what it is.

Other option I considered but the price seems prohibitive and I believe these are the pans Julia Child talked trash about (meaning at least that she had tried them). I believe her gripe was that they were overpriced but I could be wrong.

One final question is what people prefer for size...I currently use a 10" pan and I have to use 4 XL eggs to make a decent omelette. I believe the last pan I linked to be the right size at 8.5" while the deBuyer is 9.5". The American stainless seems to be either 8" or 10" and I think I have seen 9" but maybe it was the Demeyere? My guess is that the shape of the bowl will determine the actual results more than the exact size of the pan? I think I'd like 8.5"-9" for three XL eggs?

Thoughts?

Cheers
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Have you tried good non-stick? Swiss Diamond works for me. 8" pan, 2 or 3 egg omelete. 10" makes a good 4 egg frittata.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Yeah, I'm just trying not to go that route...seems like cheating and mentally makes me think I'm losing some taste and picking up some carcinogens (JK, likely only applies to the restaurant supply cheapies that I've used). I also like using metal utensils (fork for omelettes) and my understanding is that even the nice ones don't hold up so well to that? I do think the non-stick pans seem to have the best shape--and really do make life easy.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I've cooked around 1.3 million eggs in a professional capacity over the course of my life.

That isn't hyperbole either; it's a very realistic estimate. I can (and have) cooked eggs on virtually every surface to which you can safely apply heat, but at the end of the day--when I'm making eggs for myself at home--there is nothing I prefer more than a heavy duty non-stick egg pan. I'm not talking about the cheap pans you get at Target for $6 that start flaking off bits of Teflon after three uses; I mean the thick industrial pans you can get at a quality restaurant supply store.

Love my deBuyer pans and my cast iron, and they certainly work just fine for frying eggs. But bottom line, nothing is as perfectly suited to making an omelette than a pan that was made to do exactly that, hundreds of times a day.

SVL, having chief that many eggs, you know that it's all about technique. I get using the right tool for the job but for whatever reason, I'm convinced that the right pan for eggs is the steel pan, I was hoping to find stainless that would play the roll.

That said, two replies and two suggestions for high quality non-stick tells me I may have to open my mind a bit on this.

for frying definitely carbon, but for omelette non stick is the way to go.
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tramon...killet-p128077

fancier looking
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/calpha...killet-p123114

if you want to splurge
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/viking...skillet-p16917

Buy this and you can get back to shopping for knives and stones. Be gentle with the fork and you'll be fine. Or use chopsticks.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Diamond-...amond+cookware

I also have a sauce pan for cheese and other sticky sauces. Lesser pans are just disposable.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Other option I considered but the price seems prohibitive and I believe these are the pans Julia Child talked trash about (meaning at least that she had tried them). I believe her gripe was that they were overpriced but I could be wrong.
    Your facts are indeed wrong on this point. That is the exact pan Julia designed with the pot shop of Boston. Here is a link about how this pan came to be (back story starts around 1:30)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVB2uaxckNg

Well I'll be one to vote for the debuyer omelette pan as I use it almost every morning for eggs and more later in the day. 3 large egg omelette works very well, you can do 4 if you like it very runny and a little brown. Its a perfect size for cooking solo I've found and usually hangs out on top of my stove like my cast iron used to. One reason I bought the pan was to work on technique tho, and the size happens to be perfect I find. Between the 9.5 in omelette, 12.5 frypan, and 11.5 crepe I think I'm set on carbon pans, besides maybe the 3.5 inch fry pan for novelty. I don't own a non stick btw and have always used a roommates crappy one if I'm so inclined. So I may be missing out on something but I haven't found myself wanting one that bad.

If you go with the deBuyer, I've had great success with this method of seasoning: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

And make yourself one of these forks:

Cheers,

Jack