Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new Non-stick pans

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!

Need new Non-stick pans

I know, I know ... a lot of folks say "don't buy any". But while I like my cast iron (will get a bigger one soon), I need two nonsticks ... my wife demands them. She rarely ever cooks, but she wants them anyway. For her and her mom in law when they come visit.

I had two cheaper Caphalons that were on sale, but they scratched both badly within a year. I partially blame my wife for that (the utensils she uses and the way she throws them into the cabinet, but well well ..).

Anyhow. Looking for decently priced nonsticks, a smaller (mostly for omelettes) and a fairly large one.

Thanks!

I don't know the prices of Scanpan in the US, but the Scanpan CTX series is the best teflon I've ever used. I don't use them much (mainly carbon steel and thick copper/stainless), but when I do, they are a pleasure as far as teflon goes.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    I don't know the prices of Scanpan in the US, but the Scanpan CTX series is the best teflon I've ever used. I don't use them much (mainly carbon steel and thick copper/stainless), but when I do, they are a pleasure as far as teflon goes.
    Looks like most are pretty expensive. What do you think of this more reasonable "classic" set?

https://www.amazon.com/Scanpan-Class...ds=scanpan+ctx

That I cannot say, as I have never used them. I have only owned the CTX line. I am sure some other forum members can chime in.

I know America's Test Kitchen made a teflon review video. Maybe that could come of use.

Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Haven't tried the classic, but the CTX I got recently is really very nice.

Lars

"the utensils she uses and the way she throws them into the cabinet" ... well, so getting a new $20 pan every year is more realistic than a $200 pan every 10 year.

Inexpensive cookware shopping: Buy every version IKEA has and try it, keep what is good and throw away straight what is bad, and you'll still get a lot of value for money

I keep a few Tefal pans for my wife and they are some of the best non-sticks we've tried. They won't break the bank too.

My personal belief is that a nonstick will need replacing every 3-5 years, so getting all fancy doesn't really pay off as they all fail eventually. On the other hand, if you go very cheap, they will barely last 2 years..

Unless you have an induction range, just get some inexpensive pans, like this Farberware set of three for $20:

https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Sk.../dp/B001B3M9YK

Replace as necessary.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeByA1000Cuts View Post
    "the utensils she uses and the way she throws them into the cabinet" ... well, so getting a new $20 pan every year is more realistic than a $200 pan every 10 year.

Inexpensive cookware shopping: Buy every version IKEA has and try it, keep what is good and throw away straight what is bad, and you'll still get a lot of value for money
    Oh my, he's looking for helpful advise here

If you buy a decent pan and it scratches the manufacturer will replace it. Least calphalon and scan pan and AC will
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I like Swiss Diamond a lot. In my hobby/job at the culinary store I get to use all manner of pans. Don't like AC non-stick. Don't like Scan Pan - but it's been a couple years.

Swiss Diamond will hold up to daily use, by housewives/students, using every utensil in the store, using temps that I've not seen any other ns hold up to. Replacement schedule averaged about 2 years in this environment. Did I mention I like it? And I own several for omelets, fish, cheese sauces etc.

The Woll line and Black Diamond line are getting some love at the store. They've only been carrying them for a few months but looks good so far.
    Older and wider..