Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting bard-Hinoki vs Walnut vs Maple vs Cherry

Cutting bard-Hinoki vs Walnut vs Maple vs Cherry

I have an edge grain walnut board that I'm finding too small, so I'm in the market for a new board.

Knives I use are pretty much all carbon gyutos and I try to keep my edges sharp.

What are the recommendations? Endgrain Walnut vs maple vs cherry.

Also how does Hinoki compare to these?

Thanks.

I've got three boards in rotation - maple, cherry, and walnut - and I keep coming back to my favorite, the maple. It's a bit harder than the others, and feels the best when cutting on it. Not as pretty, but ...

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I've got three boards in rotation - maple, cherry, and walnut - and I keep coming back to my favorite, the maple. It's a bit harder than the others, and feels the best when cutting on it. Not as pretty, but ...
    Thanks R.

Which one do you find easiest on your blade? Is there a discernible difference in terms of how they edges at the end of your prep?

I own a beautiful walnut cutting board, but you are paying a premium for looks. Maple offers the best bang for the buck

Quote Originally Posted by bkultra View Post
    I own a beautiful walnut cutting board, but you are paying a premium for looks. Maple offers the best bang for the buck
    Thank you BK.

Given the larger size, I think the price difference will be significant. If there is no functional benefit I will write walnut off the list.

So need to hear opinions regarding maple vs cherry and then to figure out where hinoki sits in all of this.

Maple I think should be clearly the hardest of all your options (at least the maple used for end grain boards in the US). Cherry and Walnut aren't far off from each other compared to Maple
    227wood on ebay has end grain walnut boards, sap pattern, for a decent prices. Just not sure what shipping to UK would be

Quote Originally Posted by foody518 View Post
    Maple I think should be clearly the hardest of all your options (at least the maple used for end grain boards in the US). Cherry and Walnut aren't far off from each other compared to Maple
    227wood on ebay has end grain walnut boards, sap pattern, for a decent prices. Just not sure what shipping to UK would be
    Oh cool, he also has maple and cherry actually. Shipping isn't actually too bad, 39$

Quote Originally Posted by khashy View Post
    Thanks R.

Which one do you find easiest on your blade? Is there a discernible difference in terms of how they edges at the end of your prep?
    There isn't any discernible difference in the edge, at least that I can detect.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Agreed, I have used all three and can't tell much of a difference in this regard. The one thing I have noticed is my walnut board seems to have slightly more open pores and requires oil more often.

Right, can I just clarify what you mean by maple feeling the best? Is this how it 'hugs' the knife? Or the sound?