Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanger steak?

Hanger steak?

Okay, my last day at the old job is tomorrow, and I'm planning to eat well tomorrow night to celebrate. It is time to break out the hanger steak from the belted galloway that is in freezer. Any prep ideas? Thanks.

clean it well, marinate overnight (shallots, garlic, olive oil, parsley, rosemary, fresh bay leaf), pat it dry with paper towels, season with heavy salt & pepper, grill on highest heat possible, drop some butter on it, let it rest 5 mins before slicing.

Jacquard it to help with toughness

properly cooked and cut hangar steak is almost never tough. I like black garlic, thyme, rosemary, and shallots. I throw the steak in a foodsaver bag with that stuff and seal it. After at least 1 hour, but as long as one day, i take it out, pat dry, sear hard on the outside, baste with butter until cooked through (to rare/mid-rare), rest, and slice on a bias across the grain. Sous vide doesnt hurt either... 130 for 2-4 hours works very well.

i've never tried one before!! never see it at the butchers. maybe i should ask.

i do a mean kabob with a skirt steak..i'd start there.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    . . . I take it out, pat dry, sear hard on the outside, baste with butter until cooked through (to rare/mid-rare), rest, and slice on a bias across the grain . . .
    Jon do you lower the heat after searing, during the time that you're basting and letting the steak cook through?

properly cooked and cut hangar steak is almost never tough. I like black garlic, thyme, rosemary, and shallots. I throw the steak in a foodsaver bag with that stuff and seal it. After at least 1 hour, but as long as one day, i take it out, pat dry, sear hard on the outside, baste with butter until cooked through (to rare/mid-rare), rest, and slice on a bias across the grain. Sous vide doesnt hurt either... 130 for 2-4 hours works very well.
    I might have to try this this coming weekend.

let me know what you think
    Will do.