Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dutch Oven - to LeCreuset or not!

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!

Dutch Oven - to LeCreuset or not!

Looking to buy a nice sized Dutch oven. The LC seems to be the thing to buy, but wondering if there are better/cheaper/equal alternatives out there.

Size at least 5.5 quarts

I don't know how they are priced in the US, but Staub is a nice, usually cheaper, alternative to Le Creuset.

I've been using a Lodge cast enamel for the last six months without any troubles. Used it for the usual soups and stews and also bake bread a couple times a week with it. Solid performance for the price.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D43-E.../dp/B000N501BK

Ikea enameled ones can take a lot of abuse.

You really can't go wrong with either LeCreuset or Staub. I have various sizes of both brands and I like them all. Last year I found a few Staub's that I bought at a blow out clearance sale @ William Sonoma for $60 each, they were discontinuing the dark green enamel Dutch Ovens and skillets. BB

Le C and Staub certainly own the high end market, both excellent products. My preference is the Le C (own and use both) but I'll not turn down a good deal on a Staub if I'm looking for something in particular. When Staub drops a color from it's line they go on stupid discounts at Cutlery and More, WS and all the other usual suspects.

I've used Staub and Lodge side by side many, to many, times in the hobby/job and the Lodge burns on the bottom quicker (every time it's used) and is more difficult to clean. And not near as purty.

Was surprised by liking the Mario Batali line of Dutch Ovens. Usually celebrity stuff is crap but this weighs in about the same as Le C and Staub, performs well, cleans well. Of course there is the orange...

If you run the search "site:kitchenknifeforums.com le creuset" you'll find some interesting reading. Not the first time the question has come up.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I've used a Lodge for years and it's ok. Like daveb said, it does tend to scorch on the bottom.

Just make sure that whatever you pick, the interior enamel is light colored. otherwise it gets difficult to check how your fond is doing.

Also, it is possible to purchase the oven safe metal handles from LC that can screw into other brands that might make a decent pot, but come with cheap plastic handles.

I love my LC but got it at a serious discount from an LC outlet. I have a relative that has a martha Stewart dutch oven which I've used to make a bolognese and a braised chicken dish - worked just fine, to be honest.

I say go LC or Staub if you can find a good deal, and lodge or even a celeb brand if you can find one with a light colored interior and a replacement handle if necessary.

I have Staub and they actually confirm that the glazing is lead/cadmium free, this is important for me but others may not care. I like the matte black personally and the option of the accessory handles. Staub is now part of the Henckles group so it goes well with my Demeyere Atlantis/ProLine and other Zwilling products. If it's good enough for Paul Bocuse it's good enough for me

i'm a fan of vintage copco or dansk enamel cast iron dutch ovens. You can often times get really good deals on ebay.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.