Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best food to season new de buyer

Best food to season new de buyer

I just got 2 new de buyer pans. Both I seasoned with The smaller of the 2 I seasoned with flax seed oil using the method of bringing up to smoke point and turning if off flame and repeat after cooled, just wiping on the oil very thin. I washed both in hot water first to get the beeswax off.

The first one that is very dark I got nervous becuase the oil was getting "sticky" when cooling down so I ran out and got some bacon to help lube things up, probably not the best idea as it the pan was completely uniform before I did that, after it now has some bloches I guess from where the salt pulled the seasoning away?

The second one I took my time and did less coats. It is looking pretty good, maybe only 3 or 4 coats on that one.

My questions is

1-did I do anything wrong with the first one?
    2-what should I start cooking in these to get them seasoned well

The darker one is very slick when cool but gets gummy feeling when warming up, normal?

thanks as always

steve

oh and pics

If the oil was sticky , you likely didn't get it hot enough, long enough . If the pan is sticky after you cool it down, put it back on. I did 10 to 12 coats. THIN. Could do more.

If things got sticky, It's too much oil, and/or not letting the pan fully cool between treatments. Your top photo seems to confirm this. Here's a link that I've posted in a few other threads. Others here have bought into this method.

http://vollrathuniversity.com/vollra...-Steel-Pan.htm

Hope this helps!

when they are cooled down they feel like glass, very smooth almost like rock candy if that makes sense, like a jolly rancher, I can get these things pretty hot, I have 22K burners. Think I should go a bit more agressive? The brownish one is about 10 coats

yes this is the video I followed, I think I did not let it cool long enough, I was reall really thin on the oil but I guess not thin enough! Any way to go back and fix this or should I just try to "season" over it?

People have many methods to strip seasoning. There are oven cleaners, IE the spray foams. Many of them contain lye, which is nasty, but effective stuff (it's usually the main ingredient in drain cleaners). I've had success putting cast iron pans in the oven and running the self clean cycle. I'm not sure if this translates to a straight carbon pan. If you feel that you don't need to strip it altogether, try scrubbing it with coarse salt.

Barkeeper's friend takes it off, with a bit of elbow grease.

I think it is actually seasoned well just a bit thick for now, what would be a good tester food on it? maybe a vegetable?

Quote Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
    I think it is actually seasoned well just a bit thick for now, what would be a good tester food on it? maybe a vegetable?
    Fry an egg. A bit of butter, medium-low heat, see what happens.