Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herring under a fur coat (Сельдь под шубой)

Herring under a fur coat (Сельдь под шубой)

You guys might not be familiar with this dish....

First things first. This salad is from the USSR and was created by housewives in the 70's (hence 70esque presentation!). Really simple recipe.... it's basicly a layered salad with pickled herring, spring onions and a simple mayo sauce/vinaigrette with lots of garlic and paprika.

You start with a layer of grated potato at the bottom then a layer of grated carrots and finally a layer is grated beets. Oh and forgot to mention.... The veggies are cooked!

Between each layer you put a few slices of pickled herring, some vinaigrette and a few chopped spring onions.

You can of course substitute the herring with shrimps or eggs although I confess being quite a fan of the pickled/fishy flavor!!

Leave it the fridge for a day or two for the flavors to mix and voilà!

Here's some pics:

Herring and beets, that's a classic combination, also where I live. Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
    voilà!
    I guess that's a typo? You meant vodka?

Mark is right, one can't simply eat herring-under-a-fur-coat without a vodka

My wife makes this every year in December. It's quite a, er, concoction. It definitely polarizes people at our christmas party; the camps are clearly divided between "hey, that's good!" and

I assume that this is a fancier version of 'zakuska'. Herring, potatoes, and salo (fat back), are usually eaten after shots of vodka.

I bet this will taste awesome. My only concern is, that herring may breakdown

Now we're talking beets, does anyone have a classic recipe for Borsjt? There are a lot of Borsjt recipes on the Internet, of course, but they don't taste like what a Russian visitor made for my student house a long time ago. What I recall was that this was a main dish soup filled with meat and other things.

Didn't check out the translated version, but see whether a Google translate of http://www.belonika.ru/recipes/244 makes sense (though my wife already started to criticize it ) Post any questions.

My wife would use red cabbage opposed to white (just for colour, not traditional). She adds bell peppers. Any good stock is ok. After beetroot has been added, only simmer on very low temperature (without lid) to keep a vibrant colour.

Thanks Riba! But this is quite difficult to follow with Google translate. The first recipe I see that mentions burn marks and plagues . And do you have to throw everything in with a bow? (Jamie Oliver recipe? .)

Hehehehehe ok, will have a look when I am home too annoying on my phone