Quantcast
Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Sweet knives. I've been looking at a honesuki too lately. I hope your father-in-law likes it. Or was this one of those purchases where you justify buying a knife and trying it out in the guise of a gift

k.
    My Father-in-Law is the type of guy who never really gets excited about gifts until I realized he enjoys gifts that are truly useful. He is the only person who cooks at home and my wife talked to me about his terrible knife set so I figured I would pick him up a Fujiwara FKM 210mm Gyuto. He had heard me talking about Japanese knives for a few months prior so when he opened up his gift he was incredibly surprised and happy. When he opened it I saw in his facial expression for the first time ever, true excitement about a gift. He tends to cook a lot of roasts, meat loafs, turkey breasts etc so I figured the next best knife would be a nice slicer. I know he'll love it, now I just have to work with him so that he stops babying his Japanese knives.

P.S. I had Dave sharpen his FKM gyuto and the level of sharpness scared the bejezus out of my Father-in-Law, which was funny because prior to that he had bragged about how sharp he could get his garbage knives on his one oil stone.

That's great man. In-laws are a hard nut to crack, and it looks like you've done it with J-knives. What could be better.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

While browsing Craigslist I saw an ad for a brand new in the box 22.5" Weber kettle rotisserie setup. These retail for $150 in the stores but this lady had it advertised for only $50. I immediately called her and went and picked it up. Can't wait to do some chickens this weekend!

I finally got around to mounting my two new mag blocks. My wife wasn't too keen on the idea of hanging more knives in the kitchen but luckily the kitchen is my domain so she was able to compromise.

Not a new score, but we got the range hooked back up tonight. After almost 4 months since we dismantled the old kitchen we can finally cook! I'm still about a month out from being able to install the MagBloks and put the BoardSmith on it's alter

Rock and roll, dude! Getting a kitchen back is one of the sweeter things in life, I think!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Finally convinced someone that this could be a worthwhile investment

Damn you! Nice pickup Avishar!

Also:

Damn that mag rail can hold up your Hiro with the saya on it? Nice.

Unrelated: Pete, have you ever tried using Picasa as an image host? Also free (up to a point), then you pay for more space. But a lot faster and responsive than imageshack, and more options for posting stuff.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Johnny,

I have not used picasa but I will for sure look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Pete

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Avishar View Post

Finally convinced someone that this could be a worthwhile investment
    Lucky you, how much did the whole set up run you?

+ Reply to Thread