Quantcast
Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here - Page 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quick review on the leather knife roll above. I recieved it pretty quick, in three days. It was $89 with shipping included, so I wasn't expecting an heirloom piece, just something I could use in the house and occasionally take someplace if I was cooking away from my kitchen. The packaging was blah, but who cares it's not glass we are talking about. The first thing I noticed about it was that it was very soft; I have some expensive leather bags and accessories, and they are always thick and hard leather that need years to break in. The coloring was also nice. Upon opening the buckles, I started to see why this was $89; the leather was pretty thin and the hardware was solid but likely something that would fall apart in a pro kitchen after a couple of months. It's clearly meant for the casual home user. The inside protective flap was a very soft suede, and the pockets easily fit any knife style I put in there, whether western or wa handled. I easily fit my 270mm gyuto in the last pocket, and it gives some space for the blade to fit so the blade doesn't rub against the next knife; plus it was pretty secure/tight. I currently have 5 knives (it fits 8), and don't plan on putting more in there as I like to rotate knives, and keep the others in my larger knife roll for long storage.

If you were to buy this face to face and eliminated shipping costs, it would have cost you about $75. The person that made this knows how to work with leather, but was obviously filling a gap in the market for a more affordable, but not as sturdy knife roll. I have no regrets on the purchase as it meets my needs; heavy users I would steer away.
    Jason

[IMG][/IMG]

here is the forgecraft that Son sent me as a gift. I am in love with it and I haven't even cut an onion yet!

Thanks Son! YOU RULE!

Brad
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Nice - I love doing Forgie conversions.

Son told me Mike Henry did this one... the handle is so nice, I just sharpened it up and its screamin! I feel really lucky to have this piece.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    Thanks Son! YOU RULE!
    You can say that again! Hopefully you will have the opportunity someday to do the same thing for some young cook that Son has just done for you.

Have fun with your new knife, Brad!

New bowls from Ohya-San special ordered to my Specs, arranged by my friend So,
    Can't wait for these to arrive and start using them in the restaurant.
    I can feel another addiction growing
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I love the color, Huw.

OK, not really a new knife...but a new handle and new saya make it feel new:

Don did an awesome job with the new handle + saya. Looks very Stealth Bomber. Totally the sexiest knife in my roll....and the best performer.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I have to agree, that handle and saya look awesome -slightly Darth Vaderish. Does he cook?

Niiiice. Looks like it came from Lockheed's Skunk Works! Bet it cuts like a bastid too.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+ Reply to Thread