Toronto - Where to eat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wenus2

Reaction score
The Mrs. and I will be spending 6/2-6/10 in Toronto and we need to line out some meals!
:hungry3:

I know we have several members that reside in Toronto, so I trust I will find some really great advice in them.
We are really looking forward to the variety of ethnic cuisine as well as some finer dining, but there are so many choices.
We have a lot of time in the city, so we can go to several places, I just don't want to "waste" many meals.
:hungry:
Also, if possible, I would like the chance to eat at establishments where members work.

So have at it guys. Where should we go? What is a "don't miss?"

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

where abouts are you staying?
My T.O faves are-Chinese Rol San for dim sum and Swatow for wok hay style,both on Spadina/Chinatown
Burgers Holy Chuck and Burgers Priest,crazy good burgers(In n' Out style)
Steak- Jacobs & Co
Kensington Market-Tons of funky South and Central American joints,plus it's a cool neighborhood.
Places I haven't been to but come highly recommended-Buca,Gusto.Enoteca Social.

Most of these places are downtown,near all the major hotels.
So many places to choose from...high end to cheap and cheerful.
Have a great trip!

Peter

If you are in the Kensington Market there is a little restaurant called the Kensington Cornerstone Restaurant.
It's a gluten free restaurant. They also have 10 or 12 pieces of my art on display there.

There is also a great little mexican place in the annex called Playa Cabana.
it's a tequila bar and the braised beef short tacos are to die for.
Chef David Aggie frequents there quit a bit.

Hope that helps!

Just to clear things up, the braised beef short tacos are not all that short. But they are made with beef short ribs.

Some of my favourites:

Beast, for inspired nose to tail eating/local/sustainable cuisine and great Sunday brunch. Amazing breads and desserts too (chef's wife is the baker/pastry chef).
Cava, for reasonably-priced tapas and great Spanish wines. Plus, they have a relaxing courtyard patio and an awesome dessert place next door called XOCOCAVA.
Nota Bene, for the best $22 burger I've ever had. A great choice for your fine dining option and heavenly desserts (chef's wife is the pastry chef here too!).
The Stockyards, for the best fried chicken and BBQ in town. The lineup for ribs begins at 5pm Tuesday, Friday and Sunday.
Sukhothai (Thai), Butter Chicken Factory (Indian) and F'Amelia (Italian), a few of the best reasonably-priced neighborhood restaurants in TO and all in Cabbagetown.

Great suggestions cno! I love Stockyards fried chicken!!

Toronto has a lot of great chinese/cantonese food, but to get to the good ones you will need a car.

If i was sticking around downtown area and looking for ethnic, I like sukho thai (as already mentioned).

For Japanese, Guu is an izakaya (japanese tapas/bar) that is super fun, two locations downtown. Also the ppl who run Guu have just opened up a ramen shop which is pretty good and also funky and fun called Kinton Ramen. For other Japanese, not really known for their sushi but rather their other cooked dishes, I like ema-tei.

Around Bloor and Christie (on the subway line) there is a small korea-town with many restaurants. I think its a fun place to check out. Many restaurants open during the day (just look for the busy ones) and even late night till 1-2am there are a few that open where you can eat and drink cheap.

I also like kensington market. There is a little building where 5 or so vendors have tables set up selling things like tacos/empanadas/ etc.

There is also a little india. I'm not quite sure its worth visiting as the strip is a bit boring IMO. There is a popular restaurant there called Lahore tikka house....but when in that area I prefer Udupi Palace, a vegetarian restaurant that is pretty good.

There is a lot going on in Chinatown but I don't really like the stuff there much...all the good chinese stuff is out in the suburbs. But there is a very popular restaurant supply store called Tap Phong that is worth checking out.

Non-ethnic, a couple of "snack" type places that I like quite a bit are County General and 416 snack bar. Black Hoof is also really good (charcuterie) and they just recently opened a place next door called hoof raw bar that is seafood-centric.

Oh yeah and if you're ever stuck at yonge/dundas (eaton's center mall), I'd take a 5-10 min walk to Queen/Jarvis where there is a big parking lot where some food trucks set up shop during the day. They aren't all there everyday, but you may see trucks from these guys:
http://caplanskys.com/
http://www.bustersseacove.net/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Food-Cabbie/137387466356927

(the last one is my fav).

Oh yeah there are also a ton of ethiopian restaurants on the subway line close to greektown (also on the subway line). Don't know much about that but keep it in mind if its something you may want to try. There isn't much else around there, but its easy to get there and head back on the subway.

Thanks guys, this is awesome.
We are staying at the University of Toronto, so we are pretty centrally located. At Spadina between Bloor and College I believe.

Kensington Market was definately on our list. Hattorichop: how may I identify your work?

Slowtyper I would like to hear your opinion of the best Cantonese places, it would be worth a cab ride for us, as that is the Mrs.' native tongue. It's always fun to try things other than what her mother makes.
And dim sum is most likely on the menu at least twice so thanks for your suggestion there shankster. It's not a dining option in Reno, so we are always sure to enjoy that when it is available, usually in SF and Portland.

We will definately try to make it to Sukho Thai and Kinton Ramen, those sound right up our ally.

Cnochef, you made all of your suggestions sounds amazing. I will have to make it in to Beast and Stockyards at a minimum.

I had Tosho Knife Arts on my list, but didn't know about Knife, so thank you for that.

Can somebody give me an idea of Chinatown vs East Chinatown?

Also, what's the swank espresso joint?

Thanks again everybody, I'm more excited now then ever. We do live for food at my house!

Manic coffe looks good, and close. Any experience there guys?

Wenus, I use copper tubing and stained glass as my medium.
Most everything at the Kensington Cornerstone Restaurant is mine.

Have fun on your trip!

Karl

Detroit eatery West of Pape and Danforth has some amazing souvlaki (sp?)

The Old Nick at Broadview and Danforth is a comfortable little place, everyone is super friendly. The owners Pam and Chris are Really great people.

Thanks guys, this is awesome.
We are staying at the University of Toronto, so we are pretty centrally located. At Spadina between Bloor and College I believe.

Kensington Market was definately on our list. Hattorichop: how may I identify your work?

Slowtyper I would like to hear your opinion of the best Cantonese places, it would be worth a cab ride for us, as that is the Mrs.' native tongue. It's always fun to try things other than what her mother makes.
And dim sum is most likely on the menu at least twice so thanks for your suggestion there shankster. It's not a dining option in Reno, so we are always sure to enjoy that when it is available, usually in SF and Portland.

We will definately try to make it to Sukho Thai and Kinton Ramen, those sound right up our ally.

Cnochef, you made all of your suggestions sounds amazing. I will have to make it in to Beast and Stockyards at a minimum.

I had Tosho Knife Arts on my list, but didn't know about Knife, so thank you for that.

Can somebody give me an idea of Chinatown vs East Chinatown?

Also, what's the swank espresso joint?

Thanks again everybody, I'm more excited now then ever. We do live for food at my house!

If you like good Pho,Pho Tien Thanh on Ossington(57 Ossington Ave North of Queen St) is excellent.Actually the Ossington strip has quite a few good restaurants.
Chinatown(Spadina&Dundas) is much bigger than Chinatown East(Broadview&Gerrard),with more variety and Kensington Mkt is a stones throw away.I think the Chinatown slowtyper mentioned is more than a cab ride away,probably a rental car drive from the downtown core,but some really excellent restaurants can be found there.

Most Cantonese in the city live outside the core now, so Chinatown and East Chinatown aren't really too popular any more for Cantonese food. Most of the Cantonese places are out in the suburbs. However... "siu sa teen" which is... frick, I don't remember what it's called in English, on Spadina halfway between College & Dundas is alright.

Dynasty now just west of Bay & Yorkville was alright before they moved, so I presume they're still good at their new location. Lai Wah Heen at the top of Metropolitan Hotel at 108 Chestnut (just east of University & Dundas) is very good but can get a little pricey. Lai Wah Heen is probably your best choice in terms of quality for Cantonese food without leaving the downtown core.

Lai Wah Heen is very good quality (only been there for dimsum once and dinner once) but its not a place I'd like to go back...just so you know, its a hotel restaurant so its pretty quiet, excellent service, and fancy. When I want to eat cantonese food I want noisy and bustling and slightly dingy.

+1 for pho on ossington, the one mentioned is my fav in the city. Ossington can be a fun strip. A lot of hipsters there though.

Oh yeah, and forget east chinatown. Nothing there worth going to see. Its close to little india though.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yangs-fine-chinese-cuisine-********-hill this place has good dim sum, but it is far out in ******** Hill.

For more accessible, you could go check out Pacific Mall (accessible by bus...I'd guess an hour ride from downtown toronto?). Its an asian mall with food court, shops, bootleg dvds, and a lot of chinese restaurants close by (a few options for dimsum within walking distance). There is also a CCK store in that mall if you want to pick up a cleaver.

I love real spicy szechuan food and there is a restaurant close by there that I really like https://www.google.ca/search?q=ba+s...ceid=ie7&redir_esc=&ei=is3BT_CxE8TLgQeW_J3bCQ.

Yeah, for good Cantonese (and Sichuan) most options are indeed out in ******** Hill, Markham, or north-end Scarborough :)

I'm tellin' ya..no need to schlep all the way put to the burbs for good Chinese/Cantonese. I was at Swatow on Spadina yesterday for lunch and it was great(as usual).Nothing fancy,plain interior,good fast service and great wok hay style food.3 of us pigged out for $40.ish.
Steamed oysters w/black bean sauce
Pan fried dumplings
Shrimps & eggplant
General Tsao Chicken
Steamed rice.
If you feeel like driving out to the burbs for something a little fancier/high end,great if not check this joint out..

Their noodle soups are awsome

If you want a decent little bit of Indian curry, you could check out Gandhi Cuisine, on Queen near Bathurst. It's just a little Roti shop, but it's killer. Saag Paneer and Malai Kofta are my favourites.

For the best burger in town, go to Allen's on the Danforth. Places like Burger's Priest are fine and all, but not worth travelling for or really anything special compared to what you can get in other towns. Allen's grinds their own beef and sources from local cows. Very cool.

If you're interested in Greek, my choice of those on the Danforth is Pan. I've never really been all that wowed by the Greek places though, to be honest. I live on Danforth by the way. Detroit Eatery and Old Nick aren't bad places, but they're hardly can't miss.

For the best beer selection in town, try Bar Volo some night. Not cheap, but if you want a good sampling of what Ontario beer is about they're pretty good. If you're looking for a lower-rent sort of night try The Only, again on the Danforth. Aleens then The Only is a not uncommon evening of bliss for me.

Do you want expensive options too? I could provide a few if you're interested.

Thanks Craig, looks like some good suggestions. Bar Volo is only a few blocks from my room, I'd say it's a safe bet more than one evening comes to a close there.
A fine dining suggestion would be appreciated, thank you.

Also, does Toronto have a "last call for alcohol?" My bedtime is already about 2 am here on the Pacific, spot me three hours on the time difference and I will likely be awake all night.

Technically I think last call is 1:30 or 2 am. Many places will close earlier, depending on the night etc.

Black Hoof (http://theblackhoof.com/) has been getting a lot of good press lately. Bone Marrow, blood custard, tendons, tongue, sweetbreads, etc. They also just opened up a cocktail bar next door that I assume you can drink in while waiting for a table (they don't take reservations) that sounds like fun, but I haven't been to. Think like, classic cocktails, not 17 different flavours of vodka martinis.

Cowbell on Queen West is a good spot, but maybe a bit out of the way for you.

Origin (Church and King) is worth a look. Nice patio too, if I remember right. Word of caution - In the evenings during the week this place is packed full of corporate douchebags, so its best for weekend lunch or dinner. If you do that and want a place to go afterwards for a beverage or three, try C'est What? which is a short walk away. Outstanding beer selection, but really average food.

There are a bunch of nicer places on Harbord street, just West of Spadina. I like Tati, which is a French bistro, but other people will tell you Splendido is the best place along there. There are a few other decent options like Loire that are good too. There's also a Peruvian place along there called the Boulevard Cafe that's pretty unique for Toronto. I suspect that Reno has more/better Latin options than Toronto does, so it might not be as interesting to you as it was for me.

Another thing I should have mentioned before that is decidedly not fine dinning is the distillery district. The Mill Street (a regional brewery) pub is decent enough pub grub and good beer, but really the whole district is just an interesting vibe to walk around. There are little art and jewelry shops and the like that the Mrs. might enjoy.

If you want to shell out 40 bucks for ethnic food, I have (ethnic) coworkers who swear by the curry crab at Saigon Star in ******** hill. It's a Thai/Vietnamese place that has plenty of cheaper stuff on the menu, but that's the dish people keep telling me about. It would be quite a ways out of the way for you, but how can you not want one of these?

pic04.jpg

Hey guys, I've got questions on dining etiquette in Canada.
How is tipping/gratuity handled?
Here, we have come to pay with plastic a lot.. is that the case there? or is cash still king?

Anything else I should be conscience of?

Thanks.

Tips are normally at 10%... of pre-tax or after-tax total, that's up to you. I do after-tax. Unless you've got a big group going, tips are not included in the presented bill.

You'll be okay with Visa/Mastercard at the vast majority places, but regular-to-small Chinese restaurants you'll want/need to pay cash.

Other than the tipping %, I can't think of any differences between dining out in Canada versus the USA.

Thanks Len, much appreciated.
I dont want to offend anybody nor make an ass of myself (not that I avoid the latter often).

Just got all settled in here aboot an hour ago. Looking forward to some dim sum at Rol San tomorrow then maybe the Jays game?

<Looking forward to some dim sum at Rol San tomorrow then maybe the Jays game?>

Try to get there early(10:30ish)before the line up starts.
Hope you enjoy your stay!

Back