Quantcast
OCD problem with knives
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OCD problem with knives

OCD problem with knives

So, as some of you know, I'm waiting for my first J knife to come in (GG Gyuto from Jon B) and so started to put a list together for my future purchases. One thing I have a problem with is different looks of knives, I like them to look the same (finish and handle...yup its an OCD thing of mine ) and noticed that the GG line does not have some of the knives I want to get (Nakiri, Yangiba) so I was wondering if I got the other knives to look the same as the GG, could I get ALL the handles changed to 1 type so they look like a set?

Thanks everyone.

Good call, I am sure there are quite a few people here that would love to put some matching new shoes on a handful of knives...in fact, I saw on his site that Jon actually started doing re-handles himself.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRossy View Post
    So, as some of you know, I'm waiting for my first J knife to come in (GG Gyuto from Jon B) and so started to put a list together for my future purchases. One thing I have a problem with is different looks of knives, I like them to look the same (finish and handle...yup its an OCD thing of mine ) and noticed that the GG line does not have some of the knives I want to get (Nakiri, Yangiba) so I was wondering if I got the other knives to look the same as the GG, could I get ALL the handles changed to 1 type so they look like a set?

Thanks everyone.
    Yes. We have two resident wa handle makers, Stefan Keller and Mike Henry. Jon at JKI also does has a handle replacement service. His handles are more traditional and don't have fancy burls or things like that .

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRossy View Post

Thanks everyone.
    If you mean matching handles like these ironwwood ones, Mike Henry's the man.

Rick

[QUOTE=Pensacola Tiger;112279]If you mean matching handles like these ironwwood ones, Mike Henry's the man.

Screw the ironwood, Mike's the man anyways! (I have a Stefan Keller handle sitting in my kitchen and it's gorgeous as well)
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

You really cant go wrong if either Stefan or Mike makes your handles. Both do excellent work. And yes I have some from both.

For those who like a "set" of knives, the best option is to piece together your dream knives, and have them all rehandled by the same dude. The "Set" thing is really just matching handles. It'd be silly to have 7 knives with the same grind, profile, and characteristics.

As you acquire more knives, the lack of similarity will become its own theme and you will be happy. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    As you acquire more knives, the lack of similarity will become its own theme and you will be happy. Trust me.
    +1
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Each great knife is it's own entity. They needn't match, but exist as a group of extraordinary individuals, each unique and appreciated for what sets it apart from any other blade.