OCD problem with knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRossy

Reaction score
So, as some of you know, I'm waiting for my first J knife to come in (GG Gyuto from Jon B) and so started to put a list together for my future purchases. One thing I have a problem with is different looks of knives, I like them to look the same (finish and handle...yup its an OCD thing of mine :razz:) and noticed that the GG line does not have some of the knives I want to get (Nakiri, Yangiba) so I was wondering if I got the other knives to look the same as the GG, could I get ALL the handles changed to 1 type so they look like a set?

Thanks everyone.

Good call, I am sure there are quite a few people here that would love to put some matching new shoes on a handful of knives...in fact, I saw on his site that Jon actually started doing re-handles himself.

So, as some of you know, I'm waiting for my first J knife to come in (GG Gyuto from Jon B) and so started to put a list together for my future purchases. One thing I have a problem with is different looks of knives, I like them to look the same (finish and handle...yup its an OCD thing of mine :razz:) and noticed that the GG line does not have some of the knives I want to get (Nakiri, Yangiba) so I was wondering if I got the other knives to look the same as the GG, could I get ALL the handles changed to 1 type so they look like a set?

Thanks everyone.

Yes. We have two resident wa handle makers, Stefan Keller and Mike Henry. Jon at JKI also does has a handle replacement service. His handles are more traditional and don't have fancy burls or things like that .

Thanks everyone.

If you mean matching handles like these ironwwood ones, Mike Henry's the man.

Rick

d0e3fcf2.jpg

If you mean matching handles like these ironwwood ones, Mike Henry's the man.

Screw the ironwood, Mike's the man anyways! (I have a Stefan Keller handle sitting in my kitchen and it's gorgeous as well)

You really cant go wrong if either Stefan or Mike makes your handles. Both do excellent work. And yes I have some from both.

For those who like a "set" of knives, the best option is to piece together your dream knives, and have them all rehandled by the same dude. The "Set" thing is really just matching handles. It'd be silly to have 7 knives with the same grind, profile, and characteristics.

As you acquire more knives, the lack of similarity will become its own theme and you will be happy. Trust me. :devilburn:

Each great knife is it's own entity. They needn't match, but exist as a group of extraordinary individuals, each unique and appreciated for what sets it apart from any other blade.

Hey GlassEye...do your knives talk to you while you sleep :rofl2:

I used to feel the same way. All I've ever owned were sets and that's going back 40 years. The forums opened my eyes to how much more useful an eclectic selection of knives will be.

I do understand that there is a certain "originality" to having different knives but I am one of those people who like the best quality I can afford AND it looking esthetically pleasing and that's where the "same look" comes from. I know this is very personal but, I like the look of a set of knives that have different shapes/usages but matching finishes and handles and that's why I think the general public like sets.

Here are some examples of what I like :doublethumbsup:

hhh_knives_103.jpg

art_japanese-kitchen.jpg

100h-0-1600.jpg

I think my problem is more add than ocd...so my collection looks a little more abstract...lots of mixing, but very little matching. Ever since I decided to replace my old Henckels, I have been all over the place--and loving it!:doublethumbsup:

Cheers!

I do understand that there is a certain "originality" to having different knives but I am one of those people who like the best quality I can afford AND it looking esthetically pleasing and that's where the "same look" comes from. I know this is very personal but, I like the look of a set of knives that have different shapes/usages but matching finishes and handles and that's why I think the general public like sets.
I think most folks, including myself started out that way. I approaching fifty knives or so at this point. If I had matching sets from each maker, I'd be living in a knife block.

I think most folks, including myself started out that way. I approaching fifty knives or so at this point. If I had matching sets from each maker, I'd be living in a knife block.

Fifty knives....bloody hell :O

Fifty knives....bloody hell :O
:rofl2: I had the same reaction when I first found out how many knives some of the other members have. The longer you stick around, the more it will seem reasonable to buy more knives. Run away... :lol2:

Yeah, there are a handful of guys that I'm sure are in that general vicinity. It would be interesting to do a survey and then a little statistical analysis of the population here.

So this is not a perfect analogy in any way....but once upon a time I was an audio nut...still am I guess. Anyway....I went everywhere looking for the perfect speakers, and once I found what I liked (or so I thought) I spent more than a little energy(and $) getting cabinets to match. Turns out, just like knives, there is no perfect speaker (obviously :D) and the energy spent getting things to match was a waste. What you think you love now may change as your tastes/skills/thoughts evolve. Just my 2 cents.....

I would talk to one of the wood suppliers like Mark to have him look out for pieces that will match grain wise. Some of the larger pieces will be big enough for 2 or 3 handles. If he knows in advance, he can look out for and cut bigger pieces provided they will stabilize the longer sizes. Same with the ferrule. Get 1 or 2 big pieces and do all of the ferrules from the same piece of wood.

Back