Beginner's Wetstone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravy Power

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brought this up in my introduction thread, but wanted to start a new one for a few more opinions and questions.

About two weeks ago I purchased this 1000/6000 grit stone from Sur la Table:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-504761/Shun-Whetstone-Grit

I actually got it for $70 with my student discount.

I've sharpened my Mercer school issue chef knife on it, as well as a 7-inch Shun Classic Asian cooks knife. Don't plan on touching putting my Carter Gyuto on it until I have a lot more experience.

So, my questions are, what are your overall thoughts on the stones?

TIA!

They seem like they were a pretty good value, are there any other stone vendors you would recommend?

I'm going to need a Diamond Flattening Steel (I think that's what they're called) at some point. Does anyone have any recommendations on those?

I'm unfamiliar with that particular stone. My first stone was an inexpensive combination stone -- a less expensive one than yours -- and it was really fine to start sharpening with. You may or may not develop tastes for other things, but I wouldn't go any further until you log some time learning. I have great stones now, and I'm still not a great sharpener (just takes more practice!) It's got more to do with you than with the stones.

BTW, "whetstone" is the term. The SLT site doesn't help in that they (mistakenly) differentiate between "whetstones" and "oil stones". Which is nonsense. Oil stones and water stones are types of whetstones. To whet is to "sharpen, as by grinding or friction." A wet stone is a stone with water on it, irrespective of sharpening. [/pedantry]

Flattening -- there are various items. Since you're asking about a diamond flattening plate, I'd recommend this: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ing-accessories/diamond-flattening-plate.html

(If I didn't have something else, I'd get one of those. I use a DMT XXC plate, just because I got it before JKI started carrying the diamond flattening plate at the above URL. It's about the same price, if I recall correctly).

I believe after making this mistake myself don't go with cheap stones to start and learn. Purchase a good couple stones and learn on those your not going to mess the stones up no sense in wasting money. Gesshin stones at JKI are great stones also chosera. Good coarse stones are besters.

I seriously doubt it's a real nice stone, though I would honestly be surprised if it was a piece of total crap.

That said, you have Japanese knives, a plain 1k/6k stone, and a Carter. Check out Murray Carter's videos--you are his target audience in a teacup. He's the man you need.

I seriously doubt it's a real nice stone, though I would honestly be surprised if it was a piece of total crap.

That said, you have Japanese knives, a plain 1k/6k stone, and a Carter. Check out Murray Carter's videos--you are his target audience in a teacup. He's the man you need.

exactly

Looks like Suehiro's grit numbers to me, but the #1000 side is too dark.

Might be made to spec.

Probably ok. But since we don't know who made it and even if we did know who made we still don't know what it's like since it might be made to spec, so nobody can say whether it's good or not. Some of the stones out there are made by a known 'name' but they're not the branded line of stones and often aren't anything like the branded stuff.

Case in point, I've got a #320 Suehiro branded stone that's pretty good. I've got another stone, similar grit but completely unbranded but also from Suehiro and it's another notch better again. But they don't make the really good stone for general release. I had to ask "what is this thing and where can I get more!?!" and they told me the back story on it. A dead end stone, but amazingly good.

Happens a lot, and even though you can often pick out who made what, it still doesn't mean anything.

As far a flattening device, you could probably get away with sandpaper on a flat surface with that one. Spending the money to get a diamond plate of some kind will mean likely spending more than the stone is worth, but the diamond plate will be something you can use with this stone and with any other stones you may get in the future.

I personally prefer Atoma diamond plates (google it), but a DMT will also work. A few other choices out there, but the really cheap ones are a false bargain. Sure, they're cheap but that's exactly what you're getting.

Good luck with it, and when it comes time to replace that stone (not yet!), there are plenty of choices out there.

Stu.

Hey guys,

I brought this up in my introduction thread, but wanted to start a new one for a few more opinions and questions.

About two weeks ago I purchased this 1000/6000 grit stone from Sur la Table:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-504761/Shun-Whetstone-Grit

I actually got it for $70 with my student discount.

I've sharpened my Mercer school issue chef knife on it, as well as a 7-inch Shun Classic Asian cooks knife. Don't plan on touching putting my Carter Gyuto on it until I have a lot more experience.

So, my questions are, what are your overall thoughts on the stones?

TIA!

They seem like they were a pretty good value, are there any other stone vendors you would recommend?

I'm going to need a Diamond Flattening Steel (I think that's what they're called) at some point. Does anyone have any recommendations on those?

I have that stone, it was my first stone. It isnt a bad stone. Better than some I have played with that others have been nice enough to let me try. However since buying that I have upgraded and fed my addiction. I have moved on to Choseras and lately have migrated to j-natural stones. Both IMHO are better. I prefer how they cut and feel. As far as that stone goes, it will last you a while. I know I was sharpening often early on as I needed to really work on technique and the stone has tons of life left in it. It is a good place to start that is easy to work with since it is a combo stone. Is it the best? Not close, but it will certainly get you there and let you create a nice edge on your knives.
Diaminod stone wise, DMT XXC for flattening.

Latest posts

Back