Quantcast
What are you using to score your bread? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you using to score your bread?

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Damn you need to really be making a lot of bread to have an excuse for a special knife for the task Lucretia.

The few times I do it, I just use a petty or my small gyuto. Cant you use your bb for the task?
    Make enough bread to have destroyed a few KitchenAid mixers before changing over to Electrolux. (The KAs aren't really too good for dough, actually. And yes, they were operated within spec. They just don't handle dough well enough.) BB is too long for the job. Actually toying with the idea of selling it. A great knife--too nice to only pull out occasionally. May want to replace it with one that's more general-purpose so there's more opportunity to use & enjoy it.

Son, I've been wondering about getting a straight razor. I like the way a razor blade cuts, but they're kinda tricky to wash. And I like the idea of somthing that's not going to the landfill after a few uses, so the plastic fixed blade lame is also out.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Victorinox serrated pairing knife...Have used razor on occasion but prefer the victorinox

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Make enough bread to have destroyed a few KitchenAid mixers before changing over to Electrolux. (The KAs aren't really too good for dough, actually. And yes, they were operated within spec. They just don't handle dough well enough.) BB is too long for the job. Actually toying with the idea of selling it. A great knife--too nice to only pull out occasionally. May want to replace it with one that's more general-purpose so there's more opportunity to use & enjoy it.

Son, I've been wondering about getting a straight razor. I like the way a razor blade cuts, but they're kinda tricky to wash. And I like the idea of somthing that's not going to the landfill after a few uses, so the plastic fixed blade lame is also out.
    hold off on the razor, I got something in the pipeline. Relax and let chef handle things.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I use a double edge blade with holder / lame. Had previously use the green lame that's sold by King Arthur and Sur La Table as well as a serrated bread knife. The green lame is poor, and really shouldn't be sold.

A straight razor would be interesting.

it's coming!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Like a nincompoop, I've been using a razor blade to score my bread loaves when it gives me a perfectly good excuse to get a new knife. But what would be the best tool for the job? There are lots of places that have cheap plastic lames, and I've seen a video of a baker making some beautiful cuts with a Victorinox baker's knife. What works best for you? (Confession time--in the deep, dark recesses of my heart, I fantasize about getting a Carter neck knife for the job.)
    That's what I use, a Carter Neck Knife. I'm never in the kitchen without it.

Cheers,

Jack

Make enough bread to have destroyed a few KitchenAid mixers before changing over to Electrolux. (The KAs aren't really too good for dough, actually. And yes, they were operated within spec. They just don't handle dough well enough.)
    I thought that was just me. I had one KA pro 600 where the drive shaft snapped clean in half, literally. That was after about 4 months of use, KA told me to piss off on the warranty so thank goodness for BedBathBeyond's return policy. The KA just makes cookies now. I've been using a Bosch happily now for 4 years, mixing double the batch size I was doing in the KA.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    The green lame is poor, and really shouldn't be sold.
    Amen to that. I use a box knife

The thought of using a serrated knife makes me shudder a bit. Ripping proofed dough often doesn't work out well for me.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    I thought that was just me. I had one KA pro 600 where the drive shaft snapped clean in half, literally. That was after about 4 months of use, KA told me to piss off on the warranty so thank goodness for BedBathBeyond's return policy. The KA just makes cookies now. I've been using a Bosch happily now for 4 years, mixing double the batch size I was doing in the KA.
    Not just you. There are a lot of KA haters on bread forums. My first KA was a five-quart model that jumped off the kitchen counter while mixing dough. The tile survived, the mixer didn't. Got the Pro 600--it didn't walk like the smaller model, but the motor burned up. KA replaced it under warranty. The replacement lasted a few months before the gears stripped. It's sitting in a closet waiting for me to order parts.

Almost got the Bosch--it gets great reviews, too. Loving my Electrolux.

Lol...this in going to be an expensive thread. First it never occurred to me to have a dedicated blade for the task.....my little razor blade won't cut it now. AND you reminded me how much I dislike my KA mixer....