Balance??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making a Workhorse blade that is 290mm from the ferrule/275mm @ the edge/53mm tall/ 2.6mm over the heel/245 grams in weight.To make it balance at the heel I had to stack 50 grams of weight on the end of the handle.If I take 50 grams off the blade she won't be a workhorse but closer to a laser. I know I don't want to add 50 grams to the handle the would bring the overall weight to 295 grams.Some input would be great. Thanx

You are in a league completely above and beyond me. That being said I like my balance about an inch ahead of the heel towards the blade. Also, some handle woods are heavier than others and can offset this to a certain extent. Probably all things you already considered but thought I would throw that out there.

Others may disagree, but 295 grams for a workhorse gyuto isn't overly heavy. This 270 of Devin's is 302 grams:

89764_1_b.jpg

And this 9.2 sun (279 mm) Carter is 282 grams:

IMG_0860.jpg

This is my first attempt at making a Workhorse blade that is 290mm from the ferrule/275mm @ the edge/53mm tall/ 2.6mm over the heel/245 grams in weight.To make it balance at the heel I had to stack 50 grams of weight on the end of the handle.If I take 50 grams off the blade she won't be a workhorse but closer to a laser. I know I don't want to add 50 grams to the handle the would bring the overall weight to 295 grams.Some input would be great. Thanx

Most likely this knife will be pinch-gripped, so you can safely leave the balance forward.

I made 275mm on the edge (290mm tip to handle) a while back. 2.9mm over the heel, 2.15mm over the middle , and 1.65mm 2" from the tip. Height about same as yours.

A used a double spacer handle, that is about 15g heavier than my single spacer handle. Balance is 1.5" forward and the weight would be in the area of 275-300g. Still have it, will check today.

I would not make the blade lighter - you will get much flex, unless you hollow-grind it, while leaving spine thickness intact.

M

The bigger and heavier the blade, the further from the heel the balance point can be. At least for me. Where does it balance right now without the 50g? Like Marko suggested, an extra spacer or buttcap can help as well

If it cuts great, I'd just keep it as is. I just got a knife with the balance two inches forward of the heel. It's fine. I also have a 300 mm honyaki here 298 g and balances about an inch in front of the heel. It has a heavy ebony handle.

Yeah, I wouldnt touch it. That length goes well with blade heaviness.

I think the extra weight from the DT above may come from the mokume ferrule.

My go to 270 comes in at 244 grams and I don't consider a lazer. Approx 2.9 mm at above the heel, 2 mm midway and less than 1 at the tip. That is with a iron wood handle. Balance is about 1.25 inches forward of the ferrule.

300 grams is a bit much for my personal taste, but I am not sure how you would remedy it, short of knocking 5mm off the tip and maybe a finger notch in the heel.

For what it's worth, I know exactly what you're dealing with. I have the same "problem" with the 320+ tall suji I ground. The way I've ground it, I don't really see a whole lot of metal I'm willing to remove and it will prob be close to 300 g with the handle and the balance way forward...

001-88.jpg

Here is the balance point.The handle is redwood:slaphead::slaphead:......It has tru oil drying on it so it's not polished yet.

That balance point looks nice.

I like that balance point. Stop worrying and leave it alone. Very nice!!

Mario, you're doing lovely things here. Hopefully you didn't sweat too much over this!

That handle really "shines in the light," college professors always loved the colloquialisms...

Maybe it's the size of the blade but the handle looks a little small. The balance point is perfect though.

Maybe it's the size of the blade but the handle looks a little small. The balance point is perfect though.

Lol the picture cuts it off the way it's cropped. You can however scroll the photo over to see the rest of the handle.

Balance schmalance - looks great to me as it is. :)

Stefan

The handle is 21mm x 18.5mm @ the ferrule / 24.5mm x 22.5mm @ the butt / 140mm long.

I thought this is normal/medium size.

The handle is 21mm x 18.5mm @ the ferrule / 24.5mm x 22.5mm @ the butt / 140mm long.

I thought this is normal/medium size.

Definitely smaller than mine, but that is all personal taste, I guess. For a Knife like that, I would go closer to 150mm in length, and almost 25mm at the ferrule.

Stefan

Back