Too beautiful to use

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, the top one is a real Kramer, and the bottom is the Shun (prototype?) collaboration from several years ago. I remember when Chad posted that on his blog.

They look pretty, but I don't think I'd have much use for them

There is no knife so beautiful that it couldn't be used.
Its like dating the most beautiful girl, but you can't go to bed with her.

Then you must be insane :)

I think every knife should get used to maximum. Therefore I dont own too many.

If I would buy a knife and dont use it, I would sell it, so it can see some action in other hands

You guys are really hardcore knife users...................:cookegg:

Thats why I'm here........but I still wouldnt use those knives :running:

Why buy something to just look at. Except art work like paintings and sculptures.

Easy lesson:

Your beauties you take out for those gentle tasks, the ones that don't leave marks, i.e. cutting vegetables, fruit and so on
The ugly ones you take out for those dirty tasks, cutting bones, splitting lobsters and so on

Why buy something to just look at. Except art work like paintings and sculptures.

+1 I was just going to say that

Tool is a tool.
Funny enough it doesnt work any better for being gorgeous/expensive

I think every knife deserves to be used for what it's suited for. The only time you might want to worry a little is when you're sharpening and don't want to mess it up :)

Otherwise, I can't think of a knife that I could get that I wouldn't want to use. Don't abuse the knife or try to use it for what it wasn't designed for. It'd be a shame for a well-made and well-designed knife to sit unused and, in my estimation, unloved.

Dave, the top one is a real Kramer, and the bottom is the Shun (prototype?) collaboration from several years ago. I remember when Chad posted that on his blog.

Here it is: http://www.chadwrites.com/blade-show-kramer-shun-collaboration/

The Kramer production is still available at Sur la Table for $330. I mentioned this in another thread, but I had one for about 10 months. It's a great knife if you like Kramer's design and can't afford the real thing, or have time to wait for one. Mine was chippy though, some partly due to my own neglect, I'm sure.

But yeah, I bought it because I wanted a beast in the kitchen. It looked pretty at first, but I find any good made custom job way more asthetically pleasing than any production knife.

My most beautiful knife is also my strongest performer. I have scratched it, scuffed it, dinged it, chipped it, tipped it, and even (once) dropped it. Despite my best efforts, I cannot keep it down. It sees 10 hours of action a day and doesn't miss a beat.

Pierre Rodrigue, people. Built Canada tough.

I don't own any blades by pierre yet, but am looking forward to it! Gotta PM him about the professional series.

I used my more expensive knives production and prep. For old cheese and anything just plain evil. out comes the 8" wusthof classic. Can't destroy that thing.

I feel that way about some of my blades when then come in. I get over it. :)

004-5.jpg

I could not bring myself to cut anything with it.I would have no problem using a Kramer.

Tool first, work of art second. I like having beautiful knives. Makes me happy every time I use them. But no drawer queens.

**** that! It's a tool. What's the point of having a 'vette if you leave it in the garage. Besides, it will teach you how to properly sharpen with more care and precision.

**** that! It's a tool. What's the point of having a 'vette if you leave it in the garage. Besides, it will teach you how to properly sharpen with more care and precision.

Comes from a man who uses his custom Konosuke deba regularly. I think it was mirror polished too, right?

One word - Respekt! :D

004-5.jpg

I could not bring myself to cut anything with it.I would have no problem using a Kramer.

I checked this thread out hoping for a picture like this. Thanks.

I don't trust myself very much. I wouldn't use that knife.

It would take me a while b4 I could too. But I don't cut fish very often so I think I could buy a Yangi. and get away with it.

Comes from a man who uses his custom Konosuke deba regularly. I think it was mirror polished too, right?

One word - Respekt! :D

Oh yeah! :D As you well know the mirror polish is gonna cost extra too :) I couldn't even begin to count the thousands of pounds of fish that I've cut with that bad boy by now.

Which brings up another point. If you don't use it, it's not yours yet. You may have it in your possession, you very well may own it, but it is not yours yet. You don't even know it yet. When you use the knife, you learn the knife. It's secrets, it's strong points, it's flaws. The subtle nuances in technique only to be discovered over time through practice. When you sharpen it, you learn even more. You become even closer with it. You become one with it. Then it belongs to you. Until then it's just a piece of steel you happen to own.

The majority of my knives I use, except for two. Since many want to speak in plain terms, lets speak in plain terms. If you owned a damascus Kramer and weren't independently rich, you would use it and depreciate it's potential value? Yeah, ok, sure. When you have something, knife or something else of that demand, and use it anyways, then you can talk. I have enough knives that I don't need to pull it out and use it, I doubt it's an ephiphany to use versus the potential value loss. BTW, I bought mine long before the crazy prices came out so it's not crazy to use, but it's nice to have an ace up the sleeve.

100_3579.jpg

I do use that. Oh and it has even more value for me that the price of the item itself. It was a gift and because of the circumstances, its priceless.

Its little too long and not so effective on sashimi slicing, but I sold all my yanagis and hell, I cannot wait for that whole tuna that suppose to come next week. When I get it, I promise photos.

Knife doesnt look that pretty[like new] anymore, and Im taking it with me to the next Maxims sharpening class, so it will get polished also.
Its hard on me to stop myself from polishing it right now :D:fanning:
I sharpened it a little and its easily sharpest single bevel I have touched. What a great blade.
It just begs me to jump out of the sheath and slice stuff.

Please folks dont get me wrong.
When I see carbon knife with just a little delicate blue patina, and it happens not to be single bevel, but a chefs knife, I think IMHO owner doesnt use the knife as intended.

Back