Quantcast
Takeda Passaround - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda Passaround

Cool, looks like Theory is in Jersey we might want to keep it on the east before it goes out west. Anyone else on the east coast chime in.

Okay knife arrived Monday on my day off and for once this year I actually had 2 days off in a row. Tomorrow I will be bringing it in to work with me.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I got it yesterday and opened it today.

First impressions: BEAUTIFUL handle. Looks like Snakewood or Lacewood w/a Black Palm ferrule. A little shrinkage has occurred, which is to be expected. Probably even more before it leaves here...avg. humidity around 12-15% right now. Nice profile and makers marks are crisp and clean...they look cool. Edge has one little nick on the front side only. That is totally wierd to me. It does not go through to the back side?????? I'll touch that up when I put a fresh edge on it. Hopefully the Sigma II will show up and I can try it on here...if not I'll go to Chosera 5K. Pics to follow later...battery died on camera.

Hey Tihn...you still after me??? I hope so. Would really love your feedback on one of my edges.

Thanks again Mike. This is really great of you. Just an all around nice guy HUH!

PZ

Ok while it's fresh in my mind.

When I opened the box I said "wow that's really thin" Then I flexed it quite a bit and said, "maybe too thin". I didn't sharpen it or anything because I wanted to test it as is first. Used it exclusively on a variety of products for a week. I kept feeling like it was just a fantastic cutter. And it was. The super thinness never bothered me in practice. I never sharpened it all week, just honed it mid shift and stropped it on felt at home. Sure I could have taken it to the rika 5k maybe and got her super scary sharp but honestly the geometry of the blade and relative sharpness combined with the AS resilience simply carried it all week. I wanted to see how far I could go without sharpening and really I could have gone for weeks and weeks perhaps.

Only problem I had was reactivity with shallots. I super finely diced some shallots and usually they would last me for quite while in refrigerated units, these perfectly diced shallots barely made it past day 2 before turning black. That was my only disappointment really. More patina would help with this, or is it simply the kurochi finish which caused this.

Nice job on the handle too, excellent choice of woods. Very fitting for this blade. There was a minor fit issue on one side of the handle where the ferrule meets the handle where you can feel one is slightly higher than the other. I'm sure you knew about that already though. If you didn't maybe it swelled/shrunk to create that slight ridge. Nothing a little sanding wont fix though. Still nothing that took me out of the zone with this blade.

Overall a great knife and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to purchase it if they were looking for a wa laser in super steel.

Question, are the regular Takedas this thin as well or no?

Thanks again for letting me participate in this pass around. It has given me great insight into Takeda knives and certainly piqued my own interest in owning one. Or a few.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I didn't sharpen it or anything because I wanted to test it as is first. Used it exclusively on a variety of products for a week. I kept feeling like it was just a fantastic cutter. And it was. The super thinness never bothered me in practice. I never sharpened it all week, just honed it mid shift and stropped it on felt at home. Sure I could have taken it to the rika 5k maybe and got her super scary sharp but honestly the geometry of the blade and relative sharpness combined with the AS resilience simply carried it all week. I wanted to see how far I could go without sharpening and really I could have gone for weeks and weeks perhaps.
    Also, I sharpened it when I got it, used it all week and sent it to you without touching up the edge.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Also, I sharpened it when I got it, used it all week and sent it to you without touching up the edge.
    Yeah I could tell it hadn't been sharpened before shipping since the edge was black and not shiny. This just confirms that this knife can go a loooong ways between sharpenings.

"Question, are the regular Takedas this thin as well or no?"

Yes they are, and thinner

So the taller gyutos are as thin or thinner? Are they as flexible too?

i have a tall Takeda and a less tall Takeda. neither was brand new, but the tall Takeda is certainly easier to make very thin.

So far I like thinner blades. I guess it is due to not being in a production setting. Had a faculty chef over today and he really liked the feel of it. One of his favorite features was the texture left over from the forging....gave him a little extra friction with his pinch grip.
    I really never noticed any flexing while cutting anything. I'll put a fresh edge on it, play some more and send it out to Tihn on Monday.
    I wish I could give a more informative critique. I think it's a great knife albeit the texture and finish of the forging is just a little rough for me. I'll see what it does tomorrow with a fresh edge.

Here are the pics I promised earlier.

Attachment 8560Attachment 8561Attachment 8562

THANKS AGAIN Mike.

PZ