Quantcast
Takeda Passaround - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Takeda Passaround

Sweet! Can't wait

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Wish I was on my way to Hawaii.
    Chewie's the man.

The knife and stone arrived safely. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use them tonight.

A few things to note: TK your sharpening job is one of the finest I've ever run my three finders across. I'm curious about how you finished the edge, because it has the perfect amount of bite. The handle doesn't seem too bad, just a little raised at the ferrule, snake wood junction. Very nice handle by the way, symmetry and proportions are excellent. I'll report more on how the blade performs after I've used it more.

The Takeda had a nice visit with Stefan today. It will be on its way to ADD tomorrow.

Knife showed yesterday, well packed- thanks Obtuse.

Thanks again Mike for the opportunity.
    GREAT handle btw.

I'll hold it a few days, post some thoughts and send it on.

First, thanks again Mike for doing this.

Next, what a neat handle. Ya got skilz!
    Tapered, great wood (the combo works well with the blade finish), and yes, just a wee bit of differential swelling/shrinkage where the two species meet. No biggie though, imo.

This was my first time handling a Takeda.
    Nice deep makers's stamp, straight blade, thin behind the edge, and what appears to be a very durable kurouchi finish.

I tend to like the rustic stuff but prefer to have the spine and choil area to be more rounded than this example, personal preference only.

Someone mentioned flex in the knife and honestly would not have even been aware of any unless I went looking for it... so, when wiping the blade against my leg on a towel with moderate pressure, there it was. But the knife tracked really well through all foods cut.

Blade was sharp and remained so through a few nights of home cooking- with the knife being used as the sole cutter from prep through any post cooking chores. No blade stink but mildly reactive to citrus.

Handling- This was the one area that caught me a bit off guard. It took me a couple sessions on the board to get used to the blade shape and proportions- maybe a gyuto-suji type hybrid going on here?

The first time I used the knife it actually felt a bit awkward. Went back and saw this was a 250mm. The largest blade I own is a 240 and that one has been put away for most of the summer. But after some more time and some adjustments I got much more comfortable with it. Also, a nice tip for finer work.

Thinness- again some here already mentioned this being a thin knife. That remains comparative (which is what I find the most valuable aspect of these pass-arounds). I have a Carter Wabocho that makes the Takeda look like a candidate for the fat farm. But for this user's preference this Takeda has the "Mama Bear" thickness... just right.

Overall, a very enjoyable knife to try and just a wonderful opportunity to have some Takeda experience, which makes reading about others' reference to his work that more meaningful.

This is a maker, with his signature style, who would seem a standard for quality kurouchi knives.

Knife was sent on to The Edge last week.

Just waiting for a day off to pick it up at the post office. I know it's there mocking me, just singing its siren song! Looks like it will be in my hand Thursday morning at the earliest. I can't wait!
    Taylor

Just unwrapped the knife tonight!! Surprising how thin and light it feels. And I even have one of his small nakiri's. I'll be able to give a better review of how it works for me after a couple days.
    Taylor

Update?

+ Reply to Thread