Quantcast
First Day of School Coming up...What to take
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Day of School Coming up...What to take

First Day of School Coming up...What to take

I start kitchen labs on June 6th. Here is the standard issue, and what everyone else will have:

9-inch Mercer. I have been able to get it pretty sharp with elementary skills, but still, it doesn't perform anywhere near as well as this:

8 1/2 inch Carter. Do I take it to school? It seems like I saw another post where someone suggested that knives seem to disappear in Culinary School kitchens. But I want to learn the basics with this. The thing is, is that we have a max of 12 people per Foundations class, and almost half of them will probably drop before the end of the quarter. Not to mention, none of them will have any idea what this knife is.

I have some second-year students using custom Japanese knives.

What are all of your thoughts?

On the first day take your Mercer, after that you will know whether or not you will want to take you Carter. If it were me, I'd probably invest in something budget for the first little while at school.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    ya when you get used to the people around you then take it in. Other wise use the Mercer, it will make you so much more happy when you are practicing at home.

I would probably get a cheaper J knife to use for school, maybe a Carbo Next or something like it. Not flashy, but still better steel than the Mercers.

If you take the Carter just keep it on your body in a holster when it's not in your hand.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

There is a Japanese saying that the nail that sticks out of the board gets hit by the hammer. Just bring the "standard issue." after you get a feel of your classmates and instructor there will be plenty of time to bring the Carter if you feel comfortable. Humility first and let your work ethic and desire make the statements first. Just a thought.

Mercer makes me shudder. Too bad it's standard issue. I agree with deckhand.

Bring the Carter but then also bring a 13" Scimitar, you know for slicing proteins
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

thats the Liverpool way

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    There is a Japanese saying that the nail that sticks out of the board gets hit by the hammer. Just bring the "standard issue." after you get a feel of your classmates and instructor there will be plenty of time to bring the Carter if you feel comfortable. Humility first and let your work ethic and desire make the statements first. Just a thought.
    +2

I brought my personal fish cutting kit to work when I worked retail. They were in so much better condition than the other knives, everyone asked to use them. They were nothing special - a Dexter Russell fillet knife with a different grind and shortened height, Dexter-Russel Stainless Chinese Cleaver and Forschner Scimiter - but relatively new, with fresh edges and well take care of by me. Then one dude (a friend) asked to use my fillet knife and then, even after asking him to not steel it like he usually does - he usually steeled knives 30 times total at an obtuse angle without abandon - he proceeded to do so the second time he used it (the first time he didn't because I was right there and had just reminded him) and completely F*****D up my edge.

From then on, I never let anyone use them again. I brought them to work and pulled them out only when I was setting up in the morning and breaking fish down, or doing special orders.

Most people WILL NOT take care of your stuff because they don't take care (or know how to take care) of their own stuff.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"