Quantcast
Lest We Forget - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lest We Forget

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    My Dad was in the Army Air Corps on a B-24 crew in Italy. His twin brother was also in the Army Air Corps in the South Pacific. Their sister was an Army nurse in WWII and Korea. My uncle was an Army Engineer who also went ashore during D-Day. My Father-in-Law was in the Army, D-Day 3rd wave, 3rd Army with Patton. Won the Bronze Star during the Battle of the Bulge. Sadly, all are deceased now.

Me, Navy SeaBees, USNMCB 4 Port Hueneme, CA. Viet Nam from Feb 1968 to May 1970.

Today my wife and I went to the only Memorial Day parade in NC in Thomasville. I was in my camos, had my Marine utility cover, (we wore Marine utilities as a rule), had my dog tags and my Dads dog tags on, stood all during the parade, saluted the flag and all the officers, saw two Medal of Honor winners, removed my cover and held it over my heart when the cars carrying the families of the KIA's passed and watched the mothers in those cars wipe their eyes of tears. I remembered those many years ago how we were despised when we returned and I am proud to see how the military veterans are now honored.

I'm proud to be a veteran and hope that my contribution helped in some small way.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    My Dad was in the Army Air Corps on a B-24 crew in Italy. His twin brother was also in the Army Air Corps in the South Pacific. Their sister was an Army nurse in WWII and Korea. My uncle was an Army Engineer who also went ashore during D-Day. My Father-in-Law was in the Army, D-Day 3rd wave, 3rd Army with Patton. Won the Bronze Star during the Battle of the Bulge. Sadly, all are deceased now.

Me, Navy SeaBees, USNMCB 4 Port Hueneme, CA. Viet Nam from Feb 1968 to May 1970.

Today my wife and I went to the only Memorial Day parade in NC in Thomasville. I was in my camos, had my Marine utility cover, (we wore Marine utilities as a rule), had my dog tags and my Dads dog tags on, stood all during the parade, saluted the flag and all the officers, saw two Medal of Honor winners, removed my cover and held it over my heart when the cars carrying the families of the KIA's passed and watched the mothers in those cars wipe their eyes of tears. I remembered those many years ago how we were despised when we returned and I am proud to see how the military veterans are now honored.

I'm proud to be a veteran and hope that my contribution helped in some small way.
    Thanks David.
    Jason

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Just wondering, who here is currently in the military? PM me if you don't want to pubicly announce.
    Jason

Thanks for your service David and I'm glad you felt honored today. My uncle flew in the B-29, but he loved to talk about B-24s.

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Great thread Steeley. Thanks to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. My grandfather, whom I never met is buried at Arlington. I wish I could go up and see him today.
    On Memorial Day 2013, I will personally drive you to DC to visit the grave!

Thank you to all of you that served.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Thank you to all who served. I am humbled by the sacrifice that all of you made and many still make today.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I remember when I first started going to bars when I turned 21. I was sitting next to a guy that you knew was a Vietnam vet. He looked and acted like Rambo in the First Blood movie. Sitting there for a few beers, it got around to the war in Iraq (first one) and weather or not the vet's. would be treated differently. I asked if he served and were, he said Vietnam (I want to say Airborne, but can't remember if true). I did something that no one had ever done in his life. I personally thanked him and bought him the next round. He just sat there for quite a few min. trying not to cry, just on the brink. That was almost 20 years ago, now its almost heard of all the time. Which I am thankful.

I agree with Salty in that it is a fact in every one life to give respect to those that serve.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    On Memorial Day 2013, I will personally drive you to DC to visit the grave!
    I'm game. I went about 15 years ago. I have a pass that lets you drive in a lot of the pathways normally restricted to visitors. I did a gravestone rubbing when I went and took flowers. It's hard to describe meeting someone like that......
    My grandmother(R.I.P.) was also one of the first class of women in the Navy. I believe they were called WAVES back then. When I visited Arlington they were in the process of building a monument to them, can't wait to see that as well.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Wow, your dad was a bad ass!
    You would never have known it...he was the most soft spoken man you'd ever want to meet. Never heard him say so much as "damn".

Interestingly enough, we were both in Vietnam at the same time...wonder how common that was. Of course, he was on General Westmoreland's staff and I, well, I wasn't.

+ Reply to Thread