Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: De Buyer Pans

Found these dimensions in a review. Might help people for interior diameter.

7-7/8" outer diameter, 5-1/3" interior diameter, 2.5 mm thickness

9-1/2" outer diameter, 6.7" interior diameter, 2.5 mm thickness

10-1/4" outer diameter, 7-1/4" interior diameter, 3 mm thickness

11" outer diameter, 7-7/8" interior diameter, 3 mm thickness

12-1/2" outer diameter, 9.4" interior diameter, 3 mm thickness

14-1/4" outer diameter, 10.4" interior diameter, 3 mm thickness

much more awesomer
    Yeah, the crepiere dimensions are deceptive... one site said the dimension quoted is the outer lip dimension, and subtract 4 cm for the interior. I figured 10" would make for good-sized home crepes or palacsinta (Hungarian crepes). Turns out that note refers to the "poeles a frire" (frying pans), as noted above; the 30 cm crepiere is larger than 30 cm, and the cooking surface is less than an inch smaller than the outer diameter. 11¾" crepes are a bit big for our table. I'll probably pick up the smaller crepiere from LC.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    That's a great technique! Prolly the best one I have heard of. Have you used other oils/fats, or is lard best? Never tried lard for seasoning... my experience w/ bacon fat is it's got a low smoke point and burns easily, so I don't cook with it much. But maybe that why it's so good for seaosning pans???
    I'll stick to the method you described, or go the real man route like the chinese chef seasoning a wok. Which is actually quite similar to what you are doing... thanks for that!
    I have tried many other oils/fats for seasoning and lard is my favorite. I often use a metal spatula to scrape off any stuck on bits after searing or deglaze in the pan and never have any seasoning flake off.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    I have tried many other oils/fats for seasoning and lard is my favorite. I often use a metal spatula to scrape off any stuck on bits after searing or deglaze in the pan and never have any seasoning flake off.
    I'm curious. Do you season the outside of the pan as well? It looks like the outside of that pan was as dark as the interior.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I'm curious. Do you season the outside of the pan as well? It looks like the outside of that pan was as dark as the interior.
    I don't season the exterior, I think that is just shadow. The exterior is quite purple/blue, but going back to silver after some use.

I just compared the thickness of a Mineral B Element 20 cm pan at a restaurant supply store here in LA (Surfas) to a 20 cm Mineral pan I bought from Tuesday morning. There's no question the Mineral B is thicker. The Mineral pan was right around 2 cm, the Mineral B was at least 2.5 mm. I'll try and take a picture.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

For anyone interested, I picked up a 32cm Mineral B for $61 (including coupon) from Kitchen Universe. Pretty easy to find the current coupon with a Google search.

I season both the inside and outside initially, then I maintain the outside with oil.

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    For anyone interested, I picked up a 32cm Mineral B for $61 (including coupon) from Kitchen Universe. Pretty easy to find the current coupon with a Google search.
    Wow great price! Just bought the same one at Williams Sonoma for the instant satisfaction. Just got back from the market with some Lard to attempt seasoning. This place isn't good for my wallet. I was worried about the weight, but not after trying it in person. Weight is a non issue much lighter than my lodge, and the handle wraps under my arm great. I know I will love it! Hope to get the blue crepe one in a few weeks.

much more awesomer
    Re-seasoned my 20 cm this morning. BKF got it shiny clean in seconds, then I used baking soda just to be safe. Using GlassEye's method was very easy, if a bit time-consuming. I couldn't get the coating as uniformly black as GlassEye's images show, but it is definitely smoother than the De Buyer method with grapeseed oil.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky