Thread: De Buyer Pans

much more awesomer
    Please re-title the thread to "Differences of Opinion on Making Bacon."
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Please re-title the thread to "Differences of Opinion on Making Bacon."
    Hahaha, awesome!
    Perhaps bacon technique should be added to the "don't go there" list along side of religion and politics.
    BAAAACCCCCCCOOON!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Lol you can do bacon in batches and keep it around. Save the grease for your pan for later. You still get the smell of cooked bacon when you reheat it in the pan next time.
    Chewie's the man.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    -then youll have plenty of time to pat your own head, sip coffee, and write "lol, lol, lol bacon noobs" to people asking questions about using carbon steel pans on a thread about carbon steel pans...
    Woof! Note to self: bacon is a touchy subject! Didn't mean to step on any hooves with my porcine provocation, sorry man!

But the microwave? Seriously dude... Microwaves are like the serrated "miracle blade knives" of kitchen appliances.
    You don't know what you're missing. Just wake up and cram a cup of cold coffee, some eggs in a Tupperware dish, and a few strips of bacon in that box, hit the button, have a quick snooze, and get back up to a delicious breakfast. It's like Michael Scott's "Bacon on the Foreman" from the Office, but you don't risk burning your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Woof! Note to self: bacon is a touchy subject! Didn't mean to step on any hooves with my porcine provocation, sorry man!
    Haha, It's all good. No hooves where hurt in the making of this long jaunt off topic. It's it's good to be occasionally be reminded that the things we do can look pretty silly / bewildering to others that don't share or particular set of nerdy priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    You don't know what you're missing. Just wake up and cram a cup of cold coffee, some eggs in a Tupperware dish, and a few strips of bacon in that box, hit the button, have a quick snooze, and get back up to a delicious breakfast. It's like Michael Scott's "Bacon on the Foreman" from the Office, but you don't risk burning your foot.
    Wait? Did you just suggest microwaving coffee? Is nothing sacred to you?!? Just be glad you posted that bit of high blasphemy here and not on the coffee gear thread...

nothing wrong with microwaving a good cup of cold brew coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    nothing wrong with microwaving a good cup of cold brew coffee.
    OH NO! Edipis!!! Not you too?!?! Nothing wrong with microwaving cold brew... except FOR EVERYTHING!!!! You're taking one of the most delicious methods of extracting flavor from coffee beans -one which is free from bitterness-inducing over-heating- and subjecting it to a nuclear attack. Can't you hear it's tortured cries over the hum the flavor-destroy-o-wave? Can't you smell and taste the stench of death on the finished product?
    Taking the care to make cold brew and then microwaving it is like hand-raising a kobe-style beef and then sending to McWrongalds to be made into unhappy meals.

My coffee OCD is totally tweaking out right now... I need a minute.....

Seriously though: just make your cold-brew extra concentrated and then add hot (not boiling) water to it. You'll get more cups out of a batch before you have to re-brew and it will taste better.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

OH NO! Edipis!!! Not you too?!?! Nothing wrong with microwaving cold brew... except FOR EVERYTHING!!!! You're taking one of the most delicious methods of extracting flavor from coffee beans -one which is free from bitterness-inducing over-heating- and subjecting it to a nuclear attack. Can't you hear it's tortured cries over the hum the flavor-destroy-o-wave? Can't you smell and taste the stench of death on the finished product?
    Taking the care to make cold brew and then microwaving it is like hand-raising a kobe-style beef and then sending to McWrongalds to be made into unhappy meals.

My coffee OCD is totally tweaking out right now... I need a minute.....

Seriously though: just make your cold-brew extra concentrated and then add hot (not boiling) water to it. You'll get more cups out of a batch before you have to re-brew and it will taste better.
    If you're careful there's no need to overheat the brew.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    If you're careful there's no need to overheat the brew.
    ... and if you're careful with a flame thrower maybe you can light a candle without melting it! The problem is with the destruction that microwaves cause on a molecular level. The oils in coffee are very volatile and unstable to begin with. Coffee starts to degrade as soon as it's been brewed. Heat quickens chemical reactions, but microwaves have a very special way of destroying /denaturing things on their most basic level.

But, hey if you can't taste a difference, then more (microwave)power too you! I'm the first to admit that I'm pretty ridiculous about some things. I have no real desire to make someone stop doing something that makes them happy. -I was just having a bit of fun pretending to spaz out over everyone's caviler opinions of my deeply held beliefs.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

... and if you're careful with a flame thrower maybe you can light a candle without melting it! The problem is with the destruction that microwaves cause on a molecular level. The oils in coffee are very volatile and unstable to begin with. Coffee starts to degrade as soon as it's been brewed. Heat quickens chemical reactions, but microwaves have a very special way of destroying /denaturing things on their most basic level.

But, hey if you can't taste a difference, then more (microwave)power too you! I'm the first to admit that I'm pretty ridiculous about some things. I have no real desire to make someone stop doing something that makes them happy. -I was just having a bit of fun pretending to spaz out over everyone's caviler opinions of my deeply held beliefs.
    Hey, I agree that whatever people think gives the best result is what they should do. Having said that I can't think of a reason why the microwave wouldn't be the best way to reheat coffee. Microwaves heat more evenly than a pan or double boiler. I don't know much about cold brewing, but if you wanted to reheat the way you suggested it would have to be pretty concentrated to get to a reasonable drinking temperature by just adding hot water.