Quantcast
De Buyer Pans - Page 15
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: De Buyer Pans

There's just no accounting for some people's taste...

anyway, back to the pans...I'm finding that link pork breakfast sausage is doing a bang-up job of building up the seasoning. They emit a fine mist of pork fat onto the hot pan--you can just watch it smoke and darken. And then you get to eat the results. Win-win!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Might try the link sausages tomorrow...went to 3 different stores looking for lard with no success.

Upside is that my 3 new pans arrived today!! Woo-Hoo!!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

There tends to be a little buildup of crud where the sausages links rest in the pan while they're cooking, but it cleans up pretty easily. Cooked an omelet in a little butter today, and it was sliding around in the pan. Even the cheese that oozed out and crisped up in the pan came out easily.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    There tends to be a little buildup of crud where the sausages links rest in the pan while they're cooking, but it cleans up pretty easily. Cooked an omelet in a little butter today, and it was sliding around in the pan. Even the cheese that oozed out and crisped up in the pan came out easily.
    Which format of seasoning did you use before the sausages?

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Might try the link sausages tomorrow...went to 3 different stores looking for lard with no success.

Upside is that my 3 new pans arrived today!! Woo-Hoo!!
    If you live in a city with any sort of Hispanic population you should be able to find lard at a local Mexican market or supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    If you live in a city with any sort of Hispanic population you should be able to find lard at a local Mexican market or supermarket.
    Thanks, I do and will. Curious though as the last I heard, lard was no longer considered the evil fat it used to be...maybe I wasn't listening. The people at Whole Foods had a nice laugh though

Kinda surprising that whole foods laughed it off, they're usually pretty good for that kind of stuff. I found some lard at my local co-op, the butcher there renders it himself. Even if they don't make lard, I would think that most butchers could give you all of the pork fat that you want.

With the resurgence of charcuterie in the trendy restaurant scene, I would think that lard would bet getting more popular / common.

much more awesomer
    Just smoked out mom's house re-seasoning her 12" crepière with pure lard. She said, "Oh, well, that should drive out all the mosquitoes and flies!"
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Thanks, I do and will. Curious though as the last I heard, lard was no longer considered the evil fat it used to be...maybe I wasn't listening. The people at Whole Foods had a nice laugh though
    Yeah, lard isn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be. I mean, it's still fat, but it's not as bad as Crisco and other options. Some people still don't know any better and just the word scares them.

And just in case you don't know, lard in Spanish is "manteca"... you'll have no problem finding it at your local supermercado.

much more awesomer
    I plan to start rendering my own, in small batches, using a heavy Circulon pot on the "sauce burner" of my outdoor gas grill. I figure i can get enough packaged away and frozen before winter to last until next spring.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

+ Reply to Thread