Quantcast
De Buyer Pans - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 248

Thread: De Buyer Pans

  1. #151
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,465
    what is the best way to take the coating off the handle of a Mineral B? on my current 12 inch, i used mineral spirits, but it took forever and made a mess. i have a 10 inch and an 8 inch incoming, and i would love to do it better, this time.

    p.s. to those who know that i like the DeBuyers and the Lodges, i bought more DeBuyers only because i got a good deal due to a friend who works for the Williams-Sonoma group.

  2. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    what is the best way to take the coating off the handle of a Mineral B? on my current 12 inch, i used mineral spirits, but it took forever and made a mess. i have a 10 inch and an 8 inch incoming, and i would love to do it better, this time.

    p.s. to those who know that i like the DeBuyers and the Lodges, i bought more DeBuyers only because i got a good deal due to a friend who works for the Williams-Sonoma group.
    Honestly the ones I bought I just left it on. I use it at work and it goes into a 500f oven sometimes for 10 minutes. I never noticed a problem. Maybe there's a tipping point though.

  3. #153
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,465
    i took it off when i put a pan in an oven for prolonged periods and it started to melt...

  4. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    248
    Good to know because I was beginning to think it just wasn't going to happen. I don't get why they put it on there in the first place!

  5. #155
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,465
    Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    Good to know because I was beginning to think it just wasn't going to happen. I don't get why they put it on there in the first place!
    yeah, no clue. i guess it's similar to the nylon knobs Le Crueset puts on their stuff. stupid.

  6. #156
    Senior Member Tristan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    yeah, no clue. i guess it's similar to the nylon knobs Le Crueset puts on their stuff. stupid.
    I KNEW there was something wrong with the Le Crueset pots I bought vs the staubs that I use. Thanks for reminding me. Now I need to order the metal knobs online...

  7. #157
    Senior Member chinacats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,288
    Tried the lard on one of the mineral pans and it looked great for quite a few cooking sessions...I cooked some bacon in the pan tonight and when I cleaned it (hot water and sponge) I noticed that I had a spot where the 'patina' had chipped (?) and though it is rather small I figure the rest won't be far behind. Question is will that area begin to season when I continue cooking or will I need to clean and start over? If I need to start over, how do you go about removing the rest of the finish?

    Thanks,

  8. #158
    Senior Member Justin0505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Tried the lard on one of the mineral pans and it looked great for quite a few cooking sessions...I cooked some bacon in the pan tonight and when I cleaned it (hot water and sponge) I noticed that I had a spot where the 'patina' had chipped (?) and though it is rather small I figure the rest won't be far behind. Question is will that area begin to season when I continue cooking or will I need to clean and start over? If I need to start over, how do you go about removing the rest of the finish?

    Thanks,
    No need to start over, just keep cooking. That's the beauty of seasoning: it's constantly changing: some might chip or scrape off, but new seasoning is constantly being developed as well. It's kind of like a living thing: constantly shedding layers of skin and growing new ones.
    Just a quick note though: "good" seasoning is usually a rather thin, even and smooth layer. If you let the seasoning build up in to thick crusty, uneven layers, that's when chips and big flakey layers start to fall off. I mostly clean my pan just by scrapping around with a metal spatula while it's still hot, and then a quick wipe with a wad of wet paper towel. The spatula may leave a few scratches in the patina, but it will also help to keep the buildup thin and even. The scratches will not effect sticking and will go away the next time that you cook something fatty or "refresh" the seasoning with a dab of lard or oil.

  9. #159
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,579
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but when I've used commercial lard (Farmer John's here in CA), I've been able to get a much more consistent film and patina than using homemade lard. This last time, I used lard from a Mexican meat market (rendered from making chicharones). It didn't leave as consistent a film/patina. Maybe all that hydrogenated fat is good for something after all.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  10. #160
    Senior Member wenus2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but when I've used commercial lard (Farmer John's here in CA), I've been able to get a much more consistent film and patina than using homemade lard. This last time, I used lard from a Mexican meat market (rendered from making chicharones). It didn't leave as consistent a film/patina. Maybe all that hydrogenated fat is good for something after all.
    Yes. I have noticed this as well.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts