Quantcast
De Buyer Pans - Page 20
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: De Buyer Pans

A perfect clean patina on iron will remain brown and not turn black. If you were to heat oil and cool and wipe and do this a hundred times, I would expect a dark brown color on a iron Debuyer. The black is just small amounts of microscopic toasted foody carbonized goodness. My three Mineral B pans still remain a mottled brown because I am anal about wiping them down after use. They are slick as heck.

On a side note--- do people here regularly season the bottom side of their pain because they get sick of the patina/rust? My bar mops start taking on a nice rusty color when I wipe the stove side of my Debuyers. Heh.

Agreed, I have six debuy pans (6", 10" and 14" FRY, 9" Country pan, 11" crepe and shallow roasting pan) and they are all brown not black and can clearly still see the metal. If you pan is covered with black is just carbon that is covering the actual patina. I make acidic pan sauces in mine all the time. They are wonderful to deglaze in with wine or tomato juice.

As long as you wash them without soap with nylon bristle brush, then wipe dry quickly, then return to a low heat until you can wipe a table spoon of high heat oil over the pan inside and out. And yea, I do season the outside of the pan. the become a wonderful green-brown color.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    So my deBuyer pan has lost its bottom flatness, Amazon was super cool,issued a refund and let me keep the pan, the problem is that I cook on a vitroceramic hob and flatness is a must. I tried to flatten it hitting the crap out of it with a hammer to no avail, does anyone have any ideas?
    Some of mine are no longer flat either. I cook on a gas range, so it's not a big deal, but it does bother me more than a little bit that they wobble slightly.

I think it's part of the nature of the pan being a single layer of steel. Similar to lamintaed wood being more stable than solid wood.

One practice is to NEVER put a hot pan in water in the sink - that can warp any pan.

No idea how to re-flatten a warped pan. These pans are not forged. They're cut from sheets and then pressed into shape. Maybe if you find a blacksmith he could heat and hammer it properly.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

my pans become very dark with evenly deposited dots of carbon. the carbon is beneficial, as it's slick. i season the outside of the pans, and get the same nice brown/green that was mentioned.

much more awesomer
    I'm still shopping for a nice, big stainless skillet for those tasks that are better served with stainless. Any recommendations?

I'm trying to minimize my cookware collection. I have a slew of (cheap and thin) SS pots/saucepans and skillets and a couple of decent NS omelette pans. I also have the aforementioned 7-quart NS stockpot and a recently-acquired 1-quart saucier with an encapsulated base. I'd like to get rid of the entire cheap SS set. I think an adequate setup would include 8-and 12-inch DeBuyer fry pans, a 13-inch stainless tri-ply skillet, one 12-inch NS fry pan, the NS stock pot, the little saucier, a bigger one, a couple of stainless saucepans and one large, heavy stockpot.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    I'm still shopping for a nice, big stainless skillet for those tasks that are better served with stainless. Any recommendations?

I'm trying to minimize my cookware collection. I have a slew of (cheap and thin) SS pots/saucepans and skillets and a couple of decent NS omelette pans. I also have the aforementioned 7-quart NS stockpot and a recently-acquired 1-quart saucier with an encapsulated base. I'd like to get rid of the entire cheap SS set. I think an adequate setup would include 8-and 12-inch DeBuyer fry pans, a 13-inch stainless tri-ply skillet, one 12-inch NS fry pan, the NS stock pot, the little saucier, a bigger one, a couple of stainless saucepans and one large, heavy stockpot.
    Have you looked at Vollrath? Great pans. The skillets are All-Clad quality but at a lower price. I've got the 12" and 10" and they both kick butt.

All-Clad is on the spendy side, but I was able to get a 4 qt. sauce pan from eBay new in box for about half price.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

the Sur La Table tri-ply is very good. i have the 12 inch SLT ply skillet, and it works great. however, i'd try to find a vintage All-Clad Master Chef (not MC2, though MC2 is very good, too), though, on eBay. great cookware, and you can get some great deals.

Look into Tramontina, the make a jumbo cooker that is tri-ply sandwiched aluminum between sheets of stainless steel. Its basically a 12" saute pan. I compares to allclad original three play stainless.

the Debuyer pans will still our-perform them in all tasks.

much more awesomer
    LOL Tramontina (Brazilian SS) is the cheap set which is destined for the bin! Yes, I know they also make better-than-awful stuff that offers pretty good value, usually available at Costco. For that matter, Kirkland (and similarly, President's Choice at Loblaws stores in Canada) stainless and anodized cookware appears well made and a decent value.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

+ Reply to Thread