Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: De Buyer Pans

The difference between the two is the finish.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    The difference between the two is the finish.
    Thanks, can you elaborate? Personal preference?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Thanks, can you elaborate? Personal preference?
    I haven't bought the Carbone Plus but I was informed by a retailer that the only difference between the two is the beeswax finish on the Mineral pans. FWIW, I believe the beeswax finish is supposed to be washed off before use according to the literature that came with the pans. Maybe others can chime in here. I just bought two Mineral pans this week but haven't used them yet.

I have a question for those of you that bought Mineral pans. What's covering the handles? Is it plastic?
    Michael

Yes and it does a decent job except at high heat you need a towel. Maybe I'll get some of those rubber handle covers.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Family portrait
    (1) new 32cm & (2) new 28cm Carbon pans w/ cast handles
    (1) old 32cm & (1) old 24cm Carbon pans w/ cast handles

Let the fun begin!!!

Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I will never ever sell my falk saucier. Love it beyond words, but I need De Buyer frying pans now to replace my nonstick.
    You guys are killing me on this thread. I need to go somewhere and check out the 12" vs 14" debuyer mineral.
    What is your favorite size? Or should I just get a 12"

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    Yes and it does a decent job except at high heat you need a towel. Maybe I'll get some of those rubber handle covers.
    Have you used it in the oven? I read on CH that they can only be used in the oven for 10 min. I'm really thinking of getting those pans that mpukas has so they can be used in the oven. I also wonder if that's why I saw the thinner pans used by French chefs in older cooking shows - they don't have that coating on the handle.
    Michael

This place is such a bad influence...I just purchased a grill frypan, crepe pan, and a round frying pan...all carbon plus...aaauuughhh!!!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Have you used it in the oven? I read on CH that they can only be used in the oven for 10 min. I'm really thinking of getting those pans that mpukas has so they can be used in the oven. I also wonder if that's why I saw the thinner pans used by French chefs in older cooking shows - they don't have that coating on the handle.
    I had not heard that about the handles, I bought these to be used, if the clearcoat melts off the handles in the oven I probably won't care too much.

I just seasoned mine with lard, hopefully I will have time to get some use in these tomorrow.

That is a SS pan next them for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    What is your favorite size? Or should I just get a 12"
    The12" - 32cm are big and HEAVY, especially w/ the cast handles. They measure just under 12" across the top from outside edge to outside edge. One thing to keep in mind about these pans, though, is because the side are sloped and they are fairly deep, the cooking surface area is smaller. The 36cm pans are probably about 13-1/2" across the top. I'd love to have one for the occasion when I sear something really big, like two turkey breast halves at once, but for the most part the 32cm suites me just fine. I can do two lamb racks at once.

The 24cm is a bit small for me, but it's nice for things like breakfast for myself when I cook a single sausage, etc. I find it too small for eggs, omelettes, etc. That's where the 28cm come in. Perfect size for omelettes, searing a couple of steaks, chicken breasts, fish fillets, etc.

I have a ScanPan 12" that has low side walls that are very vertical and I use that often just because of the large cooking surface.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements