Quantcast
De Buyer Pans - Page 3
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: De Buyer Pans

I love this forum. something about guys that love fancy knives seems to be connected by other interests: pans, watches, stereo's, bicycles.... Maybe its cause we all like to spend $$$$.

I have five debuyer pans: 14" and 8" french skillet, 12" crepe, 9" country mineral and a debuyer short-walled roasting pan. They're the bomb but understand that they will get ugly, blackened, multi-colored from intense heat. They're a very useful pan for what they are, but they're not for every cooking task either. Also, take several uses before they break in and never leave them in water.

Something just occurred to me, was thinking they are like my carbon knives, and then through, thats because the are both made of high-steel carbon. surprised myself with my keen ingenuity

Actually they perform admirable on smooth-top-stoves. I will not cook at my friends house unless I have my Debuyer.

FYI, Falk is having a sales (thing today is last day) on at least two of their fry pans. Like 30% off which is crazy cheap for that stuff. Nothing I have ever cooked with compares to falk. I have the 12" saute and the 3QT saucier pan.

Also, maybe goes without saying but falk and debuyer are heavy pans, like cast iron. I think my 12" falk weight 15 pounds without food.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Actually they perform admirable on smooth-top-stoves. I will not cook at my friends house unless I have my Debuyer.

FYI, Falk is having a sales (thing today is last day) on at least two of their fry pans. Like 30% off which is crazy cheap for that stuff. Nothing I have ever cooked with compares to falk. I have the 12" saute and the 3QT saucier pan.

Also, maybe goes without saying but falk and debuyer are heavy pans, like cast iron. I think my 12" falk weight 15 pounds without food.
    Mind giving a link to the sale?

http://www.copperpans.com/
    The email says use code memorial15
    You can see if code still works.

I just put a call into Michael. Seems that the sales did end yesterday but I bet he will be willing to hook us up on this forum. When he calls back i'll update you guys. ok

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    http://www.copperpans.com/
    The email says use code memorial15
    You can see if code still works.
    It says it only applies to "certain store items" but doesn't say what they are

Another thing to look at are the Bourgeat carbon steel pans. Very similar to deBuyer minus the rivets and a tad heavier gauge (at least mine are). I use both and like them both. The deBuyer "Country" pan is one of my favorites and in continuous rotation and I use an 8" Bourgeat as an omelet pan.

Now time to check out that Falk sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    It says it only applies to "certain store items" but doesn't say what they are
    It was for any 32cm/12.5" diameter pieces the original email said they had bought to many in that size and wanted to reduce stock. There were four or five in that parameter, but the link to that page was gone when I checked for you just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    It was for any 32cm/12.5" diameter pieces the original email said they had bought to many in that size and wanted to reduce stock. There were four or five in that parameter, but the link to that page was gone when I checked for you just now.
    Well that makes me feel better. Been eyeing their stew pan and sauciere for a looooooooooooooong time now. If they were 30% off that would have likely forced me to finally pull the trigger.

Ah well, thanks for checking. I did see that they have codes f1, f2, f3 for discounts of 10-20% depending on total order cost. With the F2 code I can get the monster 9.5qt pot w/ lid and 1.5qt w/ lid and save $100... but it's still almost $800 total.

I'd imagine that the copper would really shine in applications where you're trying to maintain temp w/o burning the bottom of large volumes of liquid (like soup / stew) or where you're trying to very precisely heat small volumes (like melt butter / make sauce).
    Well, thanks again KKF/ Deckhand for adding yet another expensive line to my wishlist.

Back to the OP though, I had a debuyer mineral pan for years. It warped very early on but I kept using it because my apt's crappy coil electric burners where not level anyway. However, I recently moved and I've got one of the equally annoying ceramic top ranges, so the uneven bottom of the pan would cause it or spin and wobble and slide all over. I never had a warping problem with the pan, and when I finally returned it, I found out that W.S. stopped selling them awhile ago because so many people had the same problem. Perhaps there was some defect in their early mfg process that created uneven stresses in the metal?

Anyway, I dug though a bunch of reviews and ordered a "Paderno Heavy Duty Carbon Steel 11 Inch Frying Pan" - should be here next week.