Quantcast
De Buyer Pans - Page 5
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: De Buyer Pans

Lucretia is right - just go to their website and play around a bit...

Capital City sells the Carbone Plus pans. The 5110 are round steel pans - 18cm-14 cm are 2.5mm, 26cm-50cm are 3mm; 5111 are oval steel 2.5mm & 3mm; 5120 are pancake pans 2.5mm. the round country pan in blue steel 2mm is the Force Blue. The grill pan in Carbone Plus in 2.5mm.
    They also sell a few copper models.

La Cuisine sells the Carbone Plus 5910 pans with cast iron handles - 20cm-24cm pans are 2.5mm, 28cm-50cm pans are 3mm. They ahev pancake/crepe pans too. They've added sizes that they carry in the past year.

I downloaded the De Buyer PDF catalog in 2010 and that has more products in it than the website. I think that's where I first saw the 5910 cast iron handle model. I e-mailed De Buyer as to where to find that model in the US, and they responded w/ La Cuisine's website. I inquired w/ Capital City to see if they could get the 5910 series and they can't. It appears th current PDF catalog doesn't have the 5910 series listed. too bad...
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtis View Post
    The Lodge are pretty terrible. Maybe 2mm at the thickest.
    I'm curious about this. Lodge claims it is "12 gauge steel" which would make it at least 2.6 mm thick.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    I'm curious about this. Lodge claims it is "12 gauge steel" which would make it at least 2.6 mm thick.
    Just measured one. It's a hair under 2mm at the lip.

This back of the house thred is going to lighten my wallet!At home now I'm using a Circulon 12",I'm not a big fan of nonstick pans,but the Cir. works well esp. cooking fish wt< or no oil.Macy's had a sale & I picked it up for 50.00.

I have used carbon steel knives at work many yrs.,also at home.Would like to get a good De Buyer for home use.Do you season these pans?I like the larger pans wt. handle for cooking curries etc..Use alot of garlic,onions & ginger.

This is not for heavy duty industry use.Just home cooking for 3-4 people.Any suggestions for me & where to get it?

If the pan starts out at 2.6 mm buy the time it is squished into shape the rim will be quite a bit thinner.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Well I just ordered my first De Buyer pan the largest mineral-B 14.2,That should be big enough for most of my cooking,I have a good copper bottom stew pot for larger needs.Deff. looking forward to cooking in this pan.

much more awesomer
    Picked up my 7.9" frying and 12" crepiere (both Mineral B Element) today. The instructions for seasoning are pretty clear: clean off the beeswax well (I'll probably use BKF followed by baking soda and a thorough drying), add just enough fat to coat the bottom (they advise 1 mm​), heat to the smoke point, dump, wipe, put away.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Yeh kind of like a carbon knife,once patina ready to go.I have seasoned heavy cast iron pans.The De Buyer is larger lighter & better steel than my old 10" cast iron.

[QUOTE=mpukas;115063]Love my De Buyer carbon pans. Never use cast iron pans any more. As someone said earlier, they're not for eveything. I still have a couple of SS and a ScanPan NS that also get regular use. There's no such thing as the perfect pan, and these have a niche for things like searing, saute, etc. Not so good for things like steaming and dishes that have a suace with an acid in them, like a tomato based ragu or pasta.

Can you ever get them seasoned to the point you can make acidic sauces without ruining the seasoning? If not, what do you use when making that marinara? The All-Clads or some nonstick?

[QUOTE=pitonboy;118874]
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Love my De Buyer carbon pans. Never use cast iron pans any more. As someone said earlier, they're not for eveything. I still have a couple of SS and a ScanPan NS that also get regular use. There's no such thing as the perfect pan, and these have a niche for things like searing, saute, etc. Not so good for things like steaming and dishes that have a suace with an acid in them, like a tomato based ragu or pasta.

Can you ever get them seasoned to the point you can make acidic sauces without ruining the seasoning? If not, what do you use when making that marinara? The All-Clads or some nonstick?

Enamel coated LeCreuset