De Buyer Pans

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams

Reaction score
Has anyone used de buyer pans either professionally or at home? They appear to be used in many high-end kitchens so obviously they must be pretty good. One chef I talked briefly with said once you use their fry pans for cooking meats you'll never use anything else. Their conical saute pans look interesting too.

The only de buyer pans I can find online are the mineral series, not the steel or stainless steel ones.

"once you use their fry pans for cooking meats you'll never use anything else."

I do concur with this sentiment..best pans I've ever used.I have the carbone plus line,which is similar to the mineral,but cheaper and less fancy(no silicone sleeve on the handle).
Not sure why the carbone + aren't more widely available,but you won't go wrong with the mineral series either.

Got a carbone+ in 26cm and a force blue in 20cm. Love them both. They have their places in my kitchen along side lodge 12" and a chinese cast iron wok for the old school, cast iron/steel cookware theme.

Carbone+ and force blue are not expensive, don't think you'll regret getting one.

Great pans, you can't go wrong with any series.

The four minerals I have are in constant use, the allclad is mostly in storage.

Where did you guys get your pans? I'm not really interested in the mineral series, looking to find a source for any steel series.

i have an 8 in. mineral and want the rest of the sizes. a joy to cook with . eggs, grilled cheese and searing duck breast.

For just under $50 looks like a cheap way to join the club. I am going to try one thanks.

Where did you guys get your pans? I'm not really interested in the mineral series, looking to find a source for any steel series.

They are at many cookware and hospitality shops around here that carry some basic carbon steel lines, but very few places sell them at a good price. One shop happens to be just two minutes down the road.

The chowhounders had been sourcing the Carbone pans from
http://www.finestcookware.com/catalog.php

Supposedly the Mineral is mostly just a better finished version of the Carbone. I am unsure why you dislike the Mineral line, but it's what many of us here own, and I assure you it's performance is not lacking.

DeBuyer pans rule. I have a 12" mineral and 9.5" blue steel. Not sure why you're opposed to the mineral, it's thei top of te line series and is thicker. They are slightly more expensive but it'll all last forever. Get anything you can get your hands on and you'll like it

I really like my De Buyer pans, I have some Force Blue, the only pans I like more are Falks. Falks are like magic, but they are so damn expensive, De Buyers are a good choice, cheap, durable and better than alot more expensive stuff.

How good are they on glass cook tops? Every pro kitchen I've seen that uses carbon pans does it over gas, and they are so well seasoned I can't imagine them ever sticking. Do they tend to warp over higher heat (which would kill them for a glass top but have no effect over gas)?

How good are they on glass cook tops? Every pro kitchen I've seen that uses carbon pans does it over gas, and they are so well seasoned I can't imagine them ever sticking. Do they tend to warp over higher heat (which would kill them for a glass top but have no effect over gas)?

I use mine on glass/ceramic with no problems whatsoever.From stove top to 450 deg oven...sweet :thumbsup:

Nice. I'm trying to slowly replace all the wedding-gift 18/10 pots and pans that we've owned for 16 years (Tramontina and Lagostina, all Brazilian-made). I had a nice Meyer commercial NS pan for easy day-to-day use that got warped after about 12 years on our old, post-war coil range, as well as a couple of Circulon and Calphalon commercial NS that I now use with care on the Ceran top. But I've been taking my time about getting new searing and saute pans, and a new sauciere.

My wife hates all my "over-priced" kitchen stuff, and when she caught me looking at the All-Clad and Faulk sites a couple of weeks ago she said, "I'll kill you." :D But I still want a copper sauciere...

Depending on what you cook a lot of, I'd look at the 10.25" Force Bleu crepe pan. I, personally prefer the low sides on the crepe pans better than the twice as high Lyonnaise pans. I'd get it in the smallest, largest and the country pan in a big effer size. For like a hundred bucks, you'll be set.

I love this forum. something about guys that love fancy knives seems to be connected by other interests: pans, watches, stereo's, bicycles.... Maybe its cause we all like to spend $$$$.

I have five debuyer pans: 14" and 8" french skillet, 12" crepe, 9" country mineral and a debuyer short-walled roasting pan. They're the bomb but understand that they will get ugly, blackened, multi-colored from intense heat. They're a very useful pan for what they are, but they're not for every cooking task either. Also, take several uses before they break in and never leave them in water.

Something just occurred to me, was thinking they are like my carbon knives, and then through, thats because the are both made of high-steel carbon. surprised myself with my keen ingenuity ;)

Actually they perform admirable on smooth-top-stoves. I will not cook at my friends house unless I have my Debuyer.

FYI, Falk is having a sales (thing today is last day) on at least two of their fry pans. Like 30% off which is crazy cheap for that stuff. Nothing I have ever cooked with compares to falk. I have the 12" saute and the 3QT saucier pan.

Also, maybe goes without saying but falk and debuyer are heavy pans, like cast iron. I think my 12" falk weight 15 pounds without food.

Actually they perform admirable on smooth-top-stoves. I will not cook at my friends house unless I have my Debuyer.

FYI, Falk is having a sales (thing today is last day) on at least two of their fry pans. Like 30% off which is crazy cheap for that stuff. Nothing I have ever cooked with compares to falk. I have the 12" saute and the 3QT saucier pan.

Also, maybe goes without saying but falk and debuyer are heavy pans, like cast iron. I think my 12" falk weight 15 pounds without food.

Mind giving a link to the sale?

Another thing to look at are the Bourgeat carbon steel pans. Very similar to deBuyer minus the rivets and a tad heavier gauge (at least mine are). I use both and like them both. The deBuyer "Country" pan is one of my favorites and in continuous rotation and I use an 8" Bourgeat as an omelet pan.

Now time to check out that Falk sale...

It says it only applies to "certain store items" but doesn't say what they are
It was for any 32cm/12.5" diameter pieces the original email said they had bought to many in that size and wanted to reduce stock. There were four or five in that parameter, but the link to that page was gone when I checked for you just now.

It was for any 32cm/12.5" diameter pieces the original email said they had bought to many in that size and wanted to reduce stock. There were four or five in that parameter, but the link to that page was gone when I checked for you just now.

Well that makes me feel better. Been eyeing their stew pan and sauciere for a looooooooooooooong time now. If they were 30% off that would have likely forced me to finally pull the trigger.

Ah well, thanks for checking. I did see that they have codes f1, f2, f3 for discounts of 10-20% depending on total order cost. With the F2 code I can get the monster 9.5qt pot w/ lid and 1.5qt w/ lid and save $100... but it's still almost $800 total.

I'd imagine that the copper would really shine in applications where you're trying to maintain temp w/o burning the bottom of large volumes of liquid (like soup / stew) or where you're trying to very precisely heat small volumes (like melt butter / make sauce).
Well, thanks again KKF/ Deckhand for adding yet another expensive line to my wishlist.

Back to the OP though, I had a debuyer mineral pan for years. It warped very early on but I kept using it because my apt's crappy coil electric burners where not level anyway. However, I recently moved and I've got one of the equally annoying ceramic top ranges, so the uneven bottom of the pan would cause it or spin and wobble and slide all over. I never had a warping problem with the pan, and when I finally returned it, I found out that W.S. stopped selling them awhile ago because so many people had the same problem. Perhaps there was some defect in their early mfg process that created uneven stresses in the metal?

Anyway, I dug though a bunch of reviews and ordered a "Paderno Heavy Duty Carbon Steel 11 Inch Frying Pan" - should be here next week.

Back