Quantcast
Knives Available for Sale - Page 38
Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives Available for Sale

These would be ready-made, so there will be not too many choices for handle material. Cocobolo has been my go to wood for a long time. I have some fiddle back maple, some lignum vitae. I would consider other woods but would have to factor the cost into the price.

My go to steel has been 52100. I am very comfortable working with it. There are a couple of other steels that I will use, A2 and PM Stainless, though these won't be available for 2-3 weeks.

I will start with pricing these at $2/mm (and see how it goes), with three choices of wood I listed above. If I use wood like ironwood, price will be updated upward to account for the price difference between my in-house woods and the block.

Western handle with one or two accents adds a considerable time to the total production time. I would like to get more efficient with making western handles, so I am willing to eat some of the cost of producing these. I can make 3 D in place of two western handles.

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I like the idea of a lottery. Maybe it's a stupid suggestion, but if it's possible, it might be cool to give priority to first-time customers, rather than some of the hoarders who have several. Probably not a wise business model (punishing return customers?), but if you're already doing brisk business, I don't know how much it could hurt.

I guess one way to do it is to allow users to say "first time buyer" in the lottery thread, and when bids are tallied, first timers would get two votes.

I'm probably going to miss out due to the Western handle thing, but I'll keep watching anyway.

I think it is a good idea as long as the people that are currently waiting on knives from you don't have to wait any longer because of it. Also it would need to be a "This Knife is done right now and will be mailed tomorrow" kind of thing and not a "I'll get to it when I get to it" kind of thing.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    it would need to be a "This Knife is done right now and will be mailed tomorrow" kind of thing and not a "I'll get to it when I get to it" kind of thing.
    +1

Lottery - I love it! Shige profile / 255 / 52100 / sounds unbelievable. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefu View Post
    Lottery - I love it! Shige profile / 255 / 52100 / sounds unbelievable. It's exactly what I was looking for.
    Someone that is a ways down your custom order list, and missed a couple choice chances to score one of your knives, I'd really like a lottery.

And this is the knife I want too. great things.

I'm confused as to how the lottery would work. Would you list the knife in a thread, let us register, then use a random number gen to pick the winner 24 hours later?

A lots of good ideas, now need to figure out how to make them work.

There will be no customization, so the knife will be completed before the lottery and will be ready to ship the next day.

For custom order folks, I have invested time and resources to improve my capacity, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. By now I am also offering knives, handle types, sheath types, steels, geometries, etc. that weren't previously available, so in a large scheme of things, now might be a better time to get a knife from me. I have about a dozen of paid knife orders (mostly practice knives that I offered with limited customization, and some ready-made that I pulled off the market and offered replacements) that have a fist priority, but after that, I will go back to the waiting list orders and limited ready-made knives.

The custom order list is now closed and I will not reopen it until I get through the current list. And by then who knows? I might take the Murray Carter approach and get out of custom orders altogether.

Thanks,

Marko

Probably the biggest reason of offering ready-made (one per week is not going to affect my custom orders output by much) so I can have some flexibility to do new things, like Western handles, new types of knives, etc.

Great idea, and the demand is definitely there.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com