Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Order List is Officially Open

Custom Order List is Officially Open

What's offered:

Stock Steels: 52100, A2, Pm#1, AEB-L

San Mai clad in stainless: 52100, A2, PM#1, PM#2 (carbon), Carbon (similar to White steel)

Integrals: 52100, A2, All San Mail Integrals from above, Damacsus (Devin Thomas, prepare to wait)

Damascus: Stainless and Carbon damascus from Devin Thomas Damascus (prepare to wait)

Geometries: True single bevel, convex, asymmetric convex, S grind, for left and right hand users

Types of Knives: Any knife, Japanese or Western, with wa or western handles, from 65mm to 350+mm. Lately I have been making scimitar, breaking knives, filleting knives.

Sayas: two-piece sayas carved and fitted to a knife, custom pins. Wood or leather.

Accessories: If time allows, I will make strops, knife holders and end grain cutting boards.

All my work is made by me, in my workshop in Fleetwood NY. If you are interested in a custom order, please send me an email with your request.

A limited number of ready made knives will be available through a couple of vendors. Those will be made to their preferences of type, steel, handles, etc.

Thank you!

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Right now I have several san mai blanks in 52100, A2, PM stainless, Pm carbon, carbon and have several integrals in 52100. I forged these at a friends shop. In 2-3 months time I will be forging these in my own shop.

Damascus I will be sourcing from Devin Thomas in short term, until I am ready to product my own.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

What kind of price for san mai knives

It will depend on geometry of a knife to a degree, but for instance, a 240mm gyuto, san mai with PM stainless (gets sharp as AEB-L, but holds edge better), S grind with AAAA grade wood handle will cost about $650.

I forge blanks to about 4mm on the spine, so with proper geometry, and distal taper, the knife will have a unique hand made feel, not to mention excellent cutting performance.

These only will be available as customs.

What sort of lead time are you likely to have Marko?

Can you talk more about the PM#2 (carbon) and Carbon (similar to White steel). With your HT, how do they compared to 52100 and A2 steel. What is the price for a 240mm gyuto 52100 integral?

PM 2 carbon is a tool steel with an incredible wear resistance, and ability to take a very keen edge, but needs to be sharpened on a diamond plate.

Carbon (also called Spicy White) is similar to Japanese White steel.

A2 is a great steel with a proper heat treatment! Without proper HT, it's too difficult to sharpen on water stones. Doesn't get as sharp as it can be.

Integrals are going to be priced higher than other types due to amount of work that goes into them - forging, grinding, finishing.

Also, the price of a knife would depend on geometry. I offer several geometries and they are priced differently, as every one requires a different amount of work. For instance, S grind is practically two geometries in one.

Please send me an inquiry and I will send you a formal quote. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    What sort of lead time are you likely to have Marko?
    It's hard to say. Once I get working on an order, the time per order is what it takes to complete it.

Do you have any San Mai blades that you have.finished into knives yet would like to see pictures

Email sent...your work is fantastic!