Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project - Makers, Hobbyists, Tweakers, Knife Nuts with Garages - You NEED to Read This!!!

Cool New Project - Makers, Hobbyists, Tweakers, Knife Nuts with Garages - You NEED to Read This!!!

Hey folks,
    I am spilling the beans.

I teamed up with a guy who builds grinders, to bring a few grinders for KKF pros and hobbyists alike. The project is in works, and in about two months, I will have three or four of prototypes grinders. I won't share any pictures yet, but I will give you a little heads up of what's coming.

There will be an 2x72 universal belt grinder, that can be used in vertical and horizontal position. This one is NOT a copy of TW-90, a completely different machine, the only similarity is the functionality. There will be a regular 2x72 grinder, that can be modified to run up to 20" contact wheels. There will be a universal 9" disk grinder, that can be used in vertical or horizontal position. There will be also a special 2x72 grinder for grinding integral bolsters.

2x72 belt grinders will be offered with 2HP (115v or 220v) or 3 HP (220v only) TEFC Leeson or Baldor motors, and KBAC drives. Disk grinder will come with 1HP Leeson TEFC motor and KBAC drive. 9" Universal disk grinder will have a table with a miter attachment for horizontal and vertical position.

Grinders for the most part will be made of aluminum and built like tanks.

If you are a pro, a tinkerer, or a hobbyist, and were looking to get a grinder of sorts for making knives, fixing edges and thinning, polishing, re-handling, and other tasks, this might be for you. Universal grinders are great when you don't have a lot of room, and a regular grinders are great addition to any knife maker's shop to make work more efficient.

Also, these grinders are built with kitchen knives in mind. I specifically requested that they include features that are tailored for kitchen knives. The first two universal grinders (belt and disk) and a regular 2x72 grinders will go to Devin for testing and feedback after I play with them and make some videos.

Price will be considerably less than comparable machines in the market, with comparable quality, great support and service. That's all I can say right now.

Stay tuned.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Well, you certainly got my interest
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

This is extremely interesting. What a great thing to do for the community (and hopefully a good profit/work ratio for you!). As someone that just finished building a 2x72 flat grinder, I know you'll be saving people a surprising amount of work. I look forward to seeing how you orient these towards kitchen knives specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by buttermilk View Post
    This is extremely interesting. What a great thing to do for the community (and hopefully a good profit/work ratio for you!). As someone that just finished building a 2x72 flat grinder, I know you'll be saving people a surprising amount of work. I look forward to seeing how you orient these towards kitchen knives specifically.
    I don't make other knives than kitchen knives, and I almost never grind knives on a contact wheel (just profile), so when I look at any grinder, the first thing that comes to mind, how well it is suited for making kitchen knives. One can adopt to any grinder, but there are things that make life easier. For instance, I had to make some changes to my TW-90, so I could grind a scimitar.

There are also some ideas that I would like to implement, that prolong life of the belts and reduce a possibility of "burning" the blade.

I also find my current grinders a bit under-powered, when I am grinding tall blades, so for a pro use, 3Hp motor would hit the spot (provided you have 220v available). The are some specialty grinders that I could use, but what's on the market, doesn't meet my expectations, so these will be designed and built from scratch.

Folks who thin their own knives by hand (think Kato), would appreciate a setup that I have in mind that will allow them to quickly thin and polish any knife. Also, folks who would like to try their hand at making knives for themselves, family and friends, I will have a setup that will allow them to hit ground running, with minimal hands on experience - there will be videos and workshops down the road. Also, I will offer knife blanks in all popular steels, custom heat treating and bevels/distal taper pre-grinding, so all it's left for you is to grind, polish and make the handle.

To save on costs, I can wire two machines to one Variable Frequency Drive (to be used one at a time), and that's a pretty big saving as KB Electronics KBAC drives cost a good chunk of money. All grinders will come fully assembled and wired, just plug and play.

So, to summarize it in one paragraph, the idea here is to make grinders that are geared toward making kitchen knives, that address things that came short on other grinders, that include recent innovations such as cooling platens, offer some customization such as heat treated platens, radius platens, and are reasonably prices.

I know it's a long shot, but I am pretty excited and I think you will be excited too, once you see the real thing.

Thanks,

Marko

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Marko , will you be offering any radius platen by it self ?

I am not sure at this time. All platen will be built to fit flat platen holder on these grinders and we are still working on the length of the platen, leaning toward shorter, as it will reduce wear of the belts.

I'm not in the position to upgrade any of my tools unfortunately, but would love to see pictures or videos of those new machines. Sounds like a great project, Marko!

Good news Marko, thanks for sharing. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for this.

You have my attention for sure.

This is a standard 2x72 grinder before changes I requested. It will be made of aluminum, tweaked, equipped with Leeson/Baldor motors and KB Electronics VFD.

Universal grinder (works in horizontal/vertical position) will share a belt tracking system and other features with the standard 2x72 grinder, but for the most part, it's a new design.

The platen on both grinders turns from 90 degrees to about 150 degrees (I think the range is actually 50-180 degrees), a feature I find very useful grinding single bevel knives (the direction of the belt is clock-wise)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TS-5 Grinder.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	29015