Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to Square One

Back to Square One

It has been 5 years since I started dabbling in a knife-making. It has been a long and uneven ride, with many ups and downs, as I tried many geometries and profiles, steels, handle design, accessories design, etc. Some things were hits, some were misses, but in retrospect, I can say all of them were fun!))

I started making knives in Masamoto derived profile with a convex geometry. Those early ones were well received, and I haven't seen any of them popping for sale in a second hand market. One of my early knives was reviewed by Darkhoek and I think the review is still around on his blog.

I decided to go back to the original geometry and profile. I ground one gyuto yesterday, brought it home and made a dinner using it, and I think it's pretty close in performance and feel to ones I made 5 years ago))). I will grind a slightly thinner version of the same knife, compare the two and make a video of the performance on a variety of produce.

This geometry and profile will be a base for my ready-made Pro-Line knives. The knives in this line will be priced competitively, and will offer an excellent "bang for the buck" value in terms of performance, longevity, fun using them, etc.

The X-mas sets will be in the same geometry.

Thanks

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

This is the profile

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151213_154022012[1].jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	30047

PS: this might be a little premature, but I want to spill the beans and let folks in Down Under know that the Pro-Line will be available in Australia, through a partnership with my long time collaborator, and also a knife nut.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Excited for these! Out of curiosity will these come in 52100 and AEB-L or other steels?

One of these with a plain ho handle would make my day.

Cant wait to see your proline available in Aus Marko

And the profile looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedtran View Post
    Excited for these! Out of curiosity will these come in 52100 and AEB-L or other steels?
    And with western or wa handles or both?

These will be in 52100, AEB-L, A2, and other steels. It's really about a profile and geometry.
    I can offer these with or without handles, should folks want commission custom a handle form elsewhere.

I just really liked how the knife cut and

Is it possible with western handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Brucewml View Post
    Is it possible with western handle?
    I will start with Wa and add Western later. These will be available from an Aussie partner.

I'm pretty excited about this, when do you think they will begin to show up?