Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retooling my Shop

Retooling my Shop

I will be retooling my shop in the next three months. I will be adding 3 grinders, two salt pods, and if everything goes well, an inert gas oven. I will be putting up my TWSG-1 and TG-92 disk sander with a miter attachment for sale.

If anybody is interested in purchasing these, please sent me a PM.

Thanks

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I think you guys know by now that tools is my "bug" and that I can't have enough of them. I am going to brag here my new acquisitions. )))

This tool is called "prism" - a very handy tool for metal work and wood marking (on the boards) and many other uses. this hunk of metal weighs 45lb. Cast iron, precision ground on all 8 sides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prism.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	31400

A coolant chilled system is coming soon, as well as a wood stabilizing system.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

What do you do with that thing?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

It's precision ground on all eight sides. One can use it with combination of a small vise or a clamp for drilling, clamping, marking, welding, setting an angle. I need a good support, for example, when I mark my cutting boards, so I just will clamp the board for edge marking.

PS: and while I have your attention, Rick, I have the A2 test knife ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I have the A2 test knife ready.
    I now have things to cut again.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I have a friend physicist on board, helping me to design a fast wood stabilizing system with all bells and whistles - liquid nitrogen traps for water vapors, high-rate vacuum pumps, high vacuum cylinders that are normally used in labs. In all, super exciting stuff!!! I feel like in a science class again. Actually, there is a quite a bit of science to wood stabilizing, and understanding the process is a key to fast and efficient stabilizing. Here is the glimpse at the components that I will be using

Vacuum chambers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylinders.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	31407

You have a mad scientist knife making laboratory there! Dr. Frankenstein would be proud.

Marko, may we now start to call you 'X - iron - man' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Castalia View Post
    You have a mad scientist knife making laboratory there! Dr. Frankenstein would be proud.
    Thanks, but not really, just trying to make process the right way and it helps to know people who understand how things work and what's needed to make things work. I was OK with science, but not a wiz.

I expect the outcome to be on par with commercial stabilizing and in part it means setting up the right equipment: pumps, vessels, gauges, controls, etc.

I am serious about retooling my shop and make my work more efficient and to get to the next level (damascus, integrals) and that mean to innovate some processes and think outside of the box.

Matus, when I saw the prism for the first time, the X-Files immediately sprang to mind.

Marko

Sent you a PM and an email with some questions.

Thanks

Lance