Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whipping siphons

whipping siphons

Looking to tinker around with a siphon and possibly incorporate it at work. Would like it to work hot as well as cold. Seems like the ISI gourmet whip is the leader but is pretty spendy considering I would like to have both a pint and a quart sized unit. Have any of you fine people used a Mosa? The stainless one looks very similar to the ISI and costs a bit more than half as much. Do they hold up and work with hot liquids like the ISI gourmet?

Cheers

I have a Mosa sitting on my desk waiting for its first test. I'll let you know how it fares.
    Last edited by ecchef; 01-16-2016 at 08:21 AM.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

Most, if not all, will work with hot food. However, not all canisters are insulated. The metal canister will become just as hot as the "liquid" you store in it. If this is an issue for you, bare that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I have a Mosa sitting on my desk waiting for its first test. I'll let you know how it fares.
    Great! I look forward to your opinion. Does it seem well build?

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    Most, if not all, will work with hot food. However, not all canisters are insulated. The metal canister will become just as hot as the "liquid" you store in it. If this is an issue for you, bare that in mind.
    I kind of figured that. I would guess that stainless ones will hold up better over time.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply!

Not familiar with the Mosa, but the ISI is worth the money in my opinion. Really nice build quality, and it holds temp pretty well on both sides. Also does great stored in a water bath for service. I'd caution against letting the dish dogs touch it though. The itty bitty internal gaskets eventually get lost in a dish machine. Best to wash by hand in your own time IMO.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Not familiar with the Mosa, but the ISI is worth the money in my opinion. Really nice build quality, and it holds temp pretty well on both sides. Also does great stored in a water bath for service.
    I have heard nothing but excellent reports of the ISI. Might end up with the 1q gourmet and the pint sized Mosa.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I'd caution against letting the dish dogs touch it though. The itty bitty internal gaskets eventually get lost in a dish machine. Best to wash by hand in your own time IMO.
    I expected that. I will definitely take care of the washing by hand.

Cheers

Gaskets at home depot. They are your gasket dealing friend. No matter how hard I try to save those, the moment I step out of the kitchen they end up in the dish.
    Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    Gaskets at home depot. They are your gasket dealing friend. No matter how hard I try to save those, the moment I step out of the kitchen they end up in the dish.
    Sigh
    I hear ya brother. I used to ream out my cooks for dumping the siphons in with all their other crap end of service at my last gig. Some stuff never sticks...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Yeah.. Don't take it to dish unless you don't mind losing it.. Unless you have one of those amazing dishwasher/facilities management types that come in early to caulk the trip sink again and detail stuff.. The Angels and Benitos are rare these days..

I'll do an ISI vs. Mosa pictorial. Both virgins. They should be ready for service next week.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter