Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood burning grill in pro kitchen

Wood burning grill in pro kitchen

Who has one and what am I getting myself into. I need some tips and maybe a trip to someone who has one to check one out with some guidance. Thanks in advance.

A $pecific type of hood system for starters. Check with your local health dept to get started. Just pretend to be a culinary student doing a project when you call

I work with this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1451825418.384815.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	30319
    This was taken the week we opened. It was built by one of the owner's cousin and none of us knew what we were doing. Three years later we have welded stuff on, sawed stuff off, added a smoker box, set off the ANSEL twice, and generally stressed out about it a lot.

It is super ******* cool. It is a really fun thing to work, makes everything taste great, and gives you some really interesting options on how to use it.

Shoot me a PM with your email in it and I can tell you the whole story and take some detailed pictures.

One thing you need to prepare for is about 43000 a year in wood and 12000 a year in extra professional hood cleanings.

Go big or go home...

The hospitality group I work for does it right when they do it so I'm sure the equipment, hoods ect will be on point. I'm more thinking of the day to day stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bkultra View Post
    Go big or go home...

Holy schnickies

Quote Originally Posted by turbochef422 View Post
    The hospitality group I work for does it right when they do it so I'm sure the equipment, hoods ect will be on point. I'm more thinking of the day to day stuff.
    Nick, that really depends on what you're looking to get out of the equipment. I personally would take a proper wood burning oven over a grill, but if you go with the grill, definitely get one with a rotisserie option.

Are you looking to use this for service? Or is this for more for prep and kick starting foods with a nice woody flavor.
    For the most part, your biggest concern is keeping proper temps and smoke through good wood burning during use and cleaning afterwards. Some deep clean on a super strict schedule, some say lisayghtly clean as to keep the "seasoning" intact on the grill. If I recall right, you will need a proper container to discard ash/embers.

Also want to say that adding a wood burning grill or oven is a great way to separate your foods/menu from others. This is something that can be used all year round. From proteins to starches, from veggies to breads/doughs. Even dried grains can be toasted. Heck, you can take left over embers and throw them into liquids, let it rest overnight or so, and have yourself a smoked xyz something for foods or beverages.

It's gonna be throughout service as well as kick starting some stuff with flavor. Definitely the rotisserie option I know the owners wanted that too. We are also going to make some sausage, lots of pickling and fermenting, some whole fish and seafood, and a small plates menu. Who knows. I'm gonna be busy the next year.

You're also going to smell a lot different to your family when you get home