Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MEAT COOKING: Grill vs. Plancha vs. Range Top

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    And Plancha is for short order, IMO.
    Plancha. It's amazing how the old workhorse of every diner became so trendy when it got a new name.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Plancha. It's amazing how the old workhorse of every diner became so trendy when it got a new name.
    +1

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    and another +1

As far as methods, I tend to prefer a flat top or pan for most meats because of the sear. Some things, such as skirt steak and pork loins, tend to taste better with a good char from the grill IMO.

You could also go extra trendy and opt for a hibachi to throw some marks on whatever you just took out of the circulator (this applies to sears from pans/planchas as well).

If I was opening a restaurant it would be with a wood grill, 2 or 3 range tops and a few immersion circulators. But I would hate not having a flat top if I ever needed to do a catered event.

Grill, range, oven.

Pan sauces are a necessity and a properly pan seared, "baked steak" (range and oven) with proper seasoning, finished with an herb butter and jus will honestly blow away any grilled steak. However, the option is always nice, and, in my opinion, flank steak at 700*, cooked on a grill, Chicago Rare is one of life's small miracles.

I hate flat-tops and often end up tasting the rendered, then congealed fat that builds up underneath the food item, making food taste greasy or old. This is especially tru on froze items (don't act like the restaurants you've worked in never uses frozen). Believe it of not, skill is hugely important for flat-top cooking, and I think many owners forget this fact. You can hide issues caused by flat-tops, but why not avoid them altogether?

A wood-fired pizza oven isn't only for pizza, either, so I'd have one in my restaurant if I could afford it.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com