My new knife from Heiji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moodymann

Reaction score
Just got an email from Nakaya Heiji letting me know that my knife is ready. Strangely at exactly the same time as I was thinking about it and also visiting this forum for the first time in weeks. I started email Nakaya at the start of March and ordered on the 28th March, now it's ready and I'm quite excited.

The photo isn't the greatest, but here it is anyway. 210mm Special Swedish steel Gyuto with octagonal burnt chestnut handle.

581316_10150814555726256_75287913_n.jpg

Nice! Makes me want to buy another one.

Seriously you are gonna love that knife

Nice! Two months is not a bad turn time either. Congrats!

I seem to go week at the knees every time i see a heiji. I really think it's time i jumped on the bandwagon and put in an order.

I don't want to put a downer on things but customs are really going to do you when the knife arrives in the country. I recently got charged £90 for a £190 knife.

That is a nice looking profile, and I am sure everything else is just as great.

I like the look of the burnt chestnut handle a lot.

I don't want to put a downer on things but customs are really going to do you when the knife arrives in the country. I recently got charged £90 for a £190 knife.

Well that successfully puts a downer on things!

Well that successfully puts a downer on things![/QUOTE

Tax/VAT and import duty for the UK runs at 28% so Aphex must have paid a lot for the services of the shipping company for a £190 knife doesn't sound right to me. Anyway all of the retailers and Japanese makers have been erm understanding so I've either paid nothing or considerably less. UK taxes what a rip off makes me sick but still cheaper than you'd pay no doubt if you could actually buy a knife such as the one you've purchased in the UK. If its not been sent or for future purchases have a word with the retailer/manufacturer as all have been very accommodating.

The ammount i paid in tax was'nt right, that's why i was so peeved. Customs seem to be making it up as they go along at the moment, particulary with stuff from the US.

Anyway all of the retailers and Japanese makers have been erm understanding so I've either paid nothing or considerably less.

If its not been sent or for future purchases have a word with the retailer/manufacturer as all have been very accommodating.

As far as I know it's not been sent, I asked for the knife to be sharpened for use. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me on how I can be accommodated?

thanks.

They are usually 3.5mm or so at the ferrule, but taper considerably. Thin edges.

I wish I could use one, but alas, can't get high on my own supply.

The ammount i paid in tax was'nt right, that's why i was so peeved. Customs seem to be making it up as they go along at the moment, particulary with stuff from the US.

I got a letter from Parcelforce today, invoicing me for a little over £50. Oh well, paid it and should be in my hands tomorrow.

£50 is pretty bad but not too bad i suppose, what annoys me though is the clearance fee parcelforce charges. Congrats on your knife though, you've got yourself one of the best.

Love the intrigue on these knives... please post your thoughts when you get a chance to absorb the experience.

Thanks!

Love the intrigue on these knives... please post your thoughts when you get a chance to absorb the experience.

So, it arrived the day after I paid the customs charges and have been enjoying using it on a variety of tasks. I've not managed to get any photos taken yet as I just got stuck into it as soon as I got it home and the knife reacted to the tomatoes immediately. So it's already lost that super fresh look.

OOTB it was razor sharp, the edge was very fine and almost impossible for my eyes to focus on from above. Cutting has been effortless, well the main effort was going into not cutting (myself). I did however come to find a micro sized chip after the first use, I noticed it when it dragged on the dish towel. It was so small I thought it was probably damage in transit, there was no effect on performance however the knife has since developed a series micro chips and now has serrated edge.

I did ask Heiji to get it sharp for me but I think the edge must have been too fine, only thing is... I don't have a stone to put a micro bevel on it. I wasn't expecting to have it on the stones so soon and I'm still researching what best to get for this knife. I read it could be something to do with the board being too soft, however knowing that my board is soft and not entirely flat I have been very careful with how I've been using it.

Overall I am very pleased with the purchase, I just want to get the edge sorted out so I can get back to enjoying the knife. The knife definitely has some wabi sabi, the handle is comfortable and fits nicely in hand and to the blade. You can see some small nics where it looks like some unwanted sanding occurred on the ferrule but this is soon forgotten when your holding the knife and cutting.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think about what I've described.

Over and out for now

I've ran in to a couple knives that were a wee bit chippy straight out of the box, and they usually hit their stride after a few rounds on the stones. Not sure what to say since you don't have a stone... except it might be time to get one! :D

Sorry to revive a 6 month old thread, but I'm hungry for Heiji information. Any updates and/or photos?

Sorry to revive a 6 month old thread, but I'm hungry for Heiji information. Any updates and/or photos?

Hi Yamabushi, the knife is great and held out for a long time before I was eventually able to get round to buying a stone. I never did take any photos so any that I take now will not be any representation of how it looked when new. The only problem I have is getting a good edge and that's nothing to do with the knife itself.

Back