Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite stones?

bump! this is a cool thread, i just felt the need to add my 2cents. im enjoying chosera 400,gesshin 2k,gesshin 4k at the moment. i almost pulled the trigger on chefdogs jns 1k in bst the other day just because of all the great feedback it gets but i was worried it would overlap the work my gesshin 2k is doing. i still havent found a great low grit stone for thinning that i like for thinning...i may get a gesshin 220 or even that pink stone 220. king 800 seems to get alot of love too, i may just have pick one up. im very interested in hearing what everybody is using these days so please people keep this thread going!

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i still havent found a great low grit stone for thinning that i like for thinning...i may get a gesshin 220 or even that pink stone 220. king 800 seems to get alot of love too, i may just have pick one up.

I'm forever in search of the perfect (or even the next new) low grit coarse stone. I've spent so much money over the years on just this.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i still havent found a great low grit stone for thinning that i like for thinning!
    i wrote this early before i had coffee today, and it shows.haha

I switch things up a lot but I always use my rikka and kitayama. I don't think I could do with out these stones. While I'm at it I noticed imanishi has another 8k stone besides the kitayama called otokoyama. I is slightly more expensive. Does anyone have any experience with it.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

i sold both my rika and kitayama awhile back. i did miss rika until i got gesshin 4k. still miss katayama. eventually ill find something to replace it. it would be weird for me to buy the same stone again since there is so many i havent tried yet.

KATAYAMA

Did anybody have any experience with KATAYAMA 1000 grit. I found it at a great price on ebay. I read a lot of good opinions about 8.000 Katayama, but nothing on 1.000 variant.
    Edit. I see know that it could be another stone: one is kAtayama, other one is kItayama.
    Last edited by florin; 01-09-2014 at 05:14 AM. Reason: wrong name

I've been lucky to avoid collecting too many stones. I like my Wakasa natural with tenjo nagura lately...have had better luck with that than with my Naniwa Chemical and Pure White combo.

I don't really have anything under 1k except my Iwood 300/1000 plate.

I really like the edge I get from a (small) coticule, also very pleasurable to sharpen on.
    Pretty pleased about my (atoma 140-chosera 400) - chosera 1k - chosera 3k - coticule progression.

Tried something a little different on a Konesuke HD. 1200 Bester, natural aoto, and worn, old King 6k. Results...not too bad.

I'd still like to replace the Beston 500 with something easier to maintain though. I hate flattening that damn thing.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by florin View Post
    Did anybody have any experience with KATAYAMA 1000 grit. I found it at a great price on ebay. I read a lot of good opinions about 8.000 Katayama, but nothing on 1.000 variant.
    Edit. I see know that it could be another stone: one is kAtayama, other one is kItayama.

I never heard of either 1000x