Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite stones?

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I'd still like to replace the Beston 500 with something easier to maintain though. I hate flattening that damn thing.
    gesshin 400 maybe? cuts super fast, doesnt clog too quickly, doesnt dish quickly, and offers great feedback. i prefer chosera 400 for regular sharpening but the gesshin 400 would be great for a thinning because it really does cut superfast. the beston 500 is a dry, thirsty stone. is that why you hate flattening it?

Nah...not because it's a sponge, although that's true. I flatten on a big Naniwa slab usually, sometime use a drywall screen. Doesn't make a difference...still a pain in the ass. Like it's made out of Kryptonite.
    I'm getting close to pushing the button on a gesshin.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Beston 500x - best all around coarse stone to start off almost every sharpening session with. A must have for AS steel
    Wondering why this stone is special for AS steel? vs Gesshin 400 Grit Stone for AS Steel?

Also, does anyone have any feedback on stone size? I notice some stones are 75mm across and some are only 55mm. a small difference but actually very usable difference in space. Anyone notice smaller size being a serious drawback?

Most stones for knives are 75mm. The 55mm is usually more for tools like chisels. You can sharpen on smaller stones but you don't get as much of the blade at once. It is nicer to use larger stones. Just makes the job easier.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    Most stones for knives are 75mm. The 55mm is usually more for tools like chisels. You can sharpen on smaller stones but you don't get as much of the blade at once. It is nicer to use larger stones. Just makes the job easier.
    strange. my king combo is only 55mm. im returning it anyway. too bad though, it was a combo stone at only $30. other stones im looking at now are $75+ each.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Beston 500x - best all around coarse stone to start off almost every sharpening session with. A must have for AS steel
    Quote Originally Posted by eighteesix View Post
    Wondering why this stone is special for AS steel? vs Gesshin 400 Grit Stone for AS Steel?

Also, does anyone have any feedback on stone size? I notice some stones are 75mm across and some are only 55mm. a small difference but actually very usable difference in space. Anyone notice smaller size being a serious drawback?

For me I find that nothing besides a diamond plate cuts AS faster than a Beston 500x. Why? I don't know really and don't much care either. For this reason I prefer a Beston 500x for regular double beveled sharpening. For wide bevels I pick the Gesshin 400x regardless of steel as I like it on wide bevels since it's softer than the Beston 500x so it molds itself to the shape of the bevel which gives a smooth appearance, making me look like a rock star.

Great to know. My AS Hiro arrives next week. Now i'll have a Beston 500x and King 1200x (along with a King Ice Bear 6000x) to tame that beast. Any specific suggestions straight out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    gesshin 400 maybe? cuts super fast, doesnt clog too quickly, doesnt dish quickly, and offers great feedback. i prefer chosera 400 for regular sharpening but the gesshin 400 would be great for a thinning because it really does cut superfast. the beston 500 is a dry, thirsty stone. is that why you hate flattening it?
    btw, i like the beston 500 also. both stones are great just in different ways.

Eighteesix the Hiro is not the sharpest knife out of the box, but it is a real looker, I love my 210 mm gyuto only wish it was a 240 mm and for me could be a little thinner