Quantcast
What's your favorite stones? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite stones?

Naniwa ss400. In my opinion it feels a fair bit nicer than the beston 500, cuts almost as fast and leaves a nicer finish.

Rika 5k for all the reasons outlined above.

This thread has given me a great list of stones to try!

Takashima Awasedo, the one stone I have that would be greatly missed.

The Chosera 3k has a great feel and leaves a brighter polish than the 5k, but I almost always skip the 3k to save time.

I will also mention that I pretty much hate the DMT 325, useless for flattening, doesn't cut fast enough on anything (cheap stainless, stones, good steel), will stick to stones so badly that sometimes I think it won't ever release.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrud View Post
    Dave- do you remember the first time you used a kitayama? I do.

Yup I sure do Matt. hey do you realize that we learned to sharpen at the same time together? I was thinking about that the other day when talking about you with Robin. Lots of experimenting in the lab on wheels.

Im still using my jks 10000 I love that stone for edge trailing strokes ala carter.

800 King SS - very muddy and really fast stone I like it a lot.
    1k JNS/Chosera
    After 1k synthetic I use a variety of Jnats

I miss king 1.2K so bad for those single bevel knives not worthy of nice kasumi.
    Without any other stone in between it could easily remove scratches from DMT C [not XXC].
    The mud works well, the stone is fast and in near future I will definitely go for XL size.

Naniwa 10K SS - super nice feel to that stone. Much better than 8K. I dont know why. When I got them both I would use the 10K instead 8 as finisher. Felt tougher, somewhat faster?

I think I could go without JNS 1K but its very nice stone and this paired with white binsui and fine nagura makes nearly perfect double bevel setup. Just some strop on top of that and whoooooooa!

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Dave:

King 1200x - My 2nd favorite 1k(ish) stone. This is IMO soooo much better of a stone than most everything out there. It allows for perfect feedback for locking up on the bevel, cuts super quick, and provides excellent pre-polish for jumping to 5-6k. Considering the cost it's highly recommended from me. Beware though - this isn't the crappy King 1k found everywhere, it's hard to imagine they're made by the same company.

Hmm...quite disappointing considering that the King 1000 (or 1000/6000 combo) used to be what every forum newbie was told is the way to get started with waterstones. Why do you suppose the 1200 and the 8000 are so highly regarded and the 1000, apparently is "crappy". ?????

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Quote Dave:King 1200x - My 2nd favorite 1k(ish) stone. This is IMO soooo much better of a stone than most everything out there. It allows for perfect feedback for locking up on the bevel, cuts super quick, and provides excellent pre-polish for jumping to 5-6k. Considering the cost it's highly recommended from me. Beware though - this isn't the crappy King 1k found everywhere, it's hard to imagine they're made by the same company.

Hmm...quite disappointing considering that the King 1000 (or 1000/6000 combo) used to be what every forum newbie was told is the way to get started with waterstones. Why do you suppose the 1200 and the 8000 are so highly regarded and the 1000, apparently is "crappy". ?????

I've never liked the King 1k and I'm not that big a fan of the 8k either. The 6k is REAL bad

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I've never liked the King 1k and I'm not that big a fan of the 8k either. The 6k is REAL bad
    Huh. And the 1000/6000 combos are the ones which King has decided to sell by the thousands. interesting if nothing else

It's also interesting that Murray Carter uses those.

+ Reply to Thread