Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Burke 300 Suji Dragon's breath damascus

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    ...I wanted a san mai knife, as I really want to test Bills legendary 52100. But a few weeks ago I tested 52100 (Marko) and Pierres Suji. The 52100 couldn't take the same sharp edge...
    I don't understand this part. What 52100 couldn't take the same sharp edge as what?

I testet 52100 agains a O1 core steel encapsulated in pure nickel and direct forged in a high contrast damascus of 15N20 and 1084 steel.
    Might be just me but the 52100 got the same insane edge as the other. I asked Bill about it here: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ll=1#post98777

I need to test i by my self, so why not a suji in dragon breath
    This will not be my most used knife. Bills 225 sanmai (special) will be that, competing with my DT bubblewrap and some other hot models. Im no one knife man

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Oivind I am with TK59 On this, I am not understanding what you are trying to say. Did the san mai take a better edge than the 52100?

First off I am no expert on sharpening knives, but I did talk to Harald aka Darkhoek on the phone.

He didnt manage to get the 52100 as sharp as he did with O1.
    I tried his 52100 and it was nowhere close to my white either.

It might be us norwegian not doing things right, but level of sharpness is not as good on 52100 as other steels we have. Are we noobs?

Thats a stunning looking blade......Could just be that the 01 was a tad softer and easier to sharpen. I've found 01 a tad unstable up past 61 hrc, thats without cryo though, but Its nice at this hardness, I imagine the 52100 from the boys is well up past that.

First off I am no expert on sharpening knives, but I did talk to Harald aka Darkhoek on the phone.

It might be us norwegian not doing things right, but level of sharpness is not as good on 52100 as other steels we have. Are we noobs?
    Hmm. I'm not disputing your claim and I don't know the cause of the effect that you are seeing. I've sharpened a fair number of different flavors of 52100 and O1. Nearly all of them took very sharp edges very easily. That includes blades from Marko and Bill. If you're using a Marko 52100 as reference, he has his own HT (maybe several depending on what you're after). Another thing to consider is I've seen more than one reference to variation between different batches of 52100.

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Hmmm, I could be wrong but I believe that with the right heat treat 52100 is capable of some of the finest grain and carbides that can be had. This should lead to a knife that is very easy to sharpen even at high hardness. The knife that Tihn has is 61-63 rockwell and to me it was very easy to sharpen and Tihn's comment above leads me to believe that he had no problem either. I guess that you will find out about my steel soon enough though. Maybee I should send you a loner Burketech just so you can see if it was you or the steel.

My point here, Øivind, was that I was not able to get the 52100 as sharp as the O1 in the Black Pearl from Pierre. That is not the same as it is not possible. Just that it has not been possible for me (yet). 52100 is an absolutely amazing steel, and I am sure it will take a screaming edge when I manage to break the code on the steel, as I apparently have managed to do with O1. I will continue to experiment with some of my obscure ceramic stones and different naturals combined with Marko's excellent diamond loaded felt strop to see what I can do. The obvious strength with 52100 is the edge wear resistance, which is amazing.

DarKHOeK

I don't think we should speculate in this to much.
    Harald and I will spend some time testing different stones on the different steels. But I got to say Harald is the skilled one of us. Im just a noob.
    But seeing how the 52100 reacted on Markos strop was insane, so I will have a strop next to my cutting board at all times.

Anyway, Im really looking forward to this knife from Bill. I hope he gets a new camera so there can be some pics.
    Bill: No need to send me a burketech - I would probably never return it, and you would never catch me as I live on the other side of the planet :P
    When I like something you gotta take it back from my dead cold hands....

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    ...I was not able to get the 52100 as sharp as the O1 in the Black Pearl from Pierre...
    Thanks for the clarification, DH. I'm curious as to how you are evaluating the sharpness.