Quantcast
Bill Burke 300 Suji Dragon's breath damascus - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill Burke 300 Suji Dragon's breath damascus

Thin:

Harald and I did a tomato test. The 52100 didn't bite like the O1.
    Harald might have done some tests on his own...

Anyway, lets not speculate to much. The 52100 is probably the best steel next to some of DTs mystery carbon, and with BBs famous HT this will be amazing knives. The reason I could go for dragon on the suji, is that I like BBs dragon and its not my main knife. He is making a sanmai 52100 hagane for me that will be my main knife to use. This knife is however a PITA for Bill so far

Epic.

It will shurely be a blade of legend and lore. Ive also long wanted a BB blade w/ integral bolster. This is just over-the-top.

The dragon breath pattern with the integral bolster is probably the most spectacular blade I have seen to date. It is just a thing of unbelievable grace and beauty. Congrats to both Øivind and Bill on this masterpiece. This knife should definately have a full musk handle. And a matching full musk saya Hmmm, where do I score a 330mm musk ox boss piece these days...

As for sharpening 52100 it seems like the steel (at least with Markos excellent HT) responds best to synthetic stones and especially WA stones (White Aluminum oxide). They are highly effective stones and cut steel with very little applied pressure which to me seems to be one of the key factors (which again is kind of odd considering the steel's apparent chip resistance).

DarKHOeK

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    I use a combination of arkansas and water stones. My knives are sharp off the belt grinder, then clean up the edge with a Norton fine india stone, only about three strokes per sidethen a washita arkansas stone. then go to water stones 6000ish 8000ish and finish with 12,000 ish. No stropping as I have never found it necessary. This results in a screaming sharp edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    The dragon breath pattern with the integral bolster is probably the most spectacular blade I have seen to date. It is just a thing of unbelievable grace and beauty. Congrats to both Øivind and Bill on this masterpiece. This knife should definately have a full musk handle. And a matching full musk saya Hmmm, where do I score a 330mm musk ox boss piece these days...

As for sharpening 52100 it seems like the steel (at least with Markos excellent HT) responds best to synthetic stones and especially WA stones (White Aluminum oxide). They are highly effective stones and cut steel with very little applied pressure which to me seems to be one of the key factors (which again is kind of odd considering the steel's apparent chip resistance).

DarKHOeK