Quantcast
New guy to forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy to forum

Smile New guy to forum

I recently found this site and I am excited to have joined. I didn't know there were so many people that liked knives, but it great to be a part of it. I live in Houston,TX and I'm a food lover and knife enthusiast. Looking to get some new knives and trying to avoid getting a "set" from the stores. Ever since I bought my Hattori HD gyuto from JCK as a gift to myself, I've been hooked on getting more japanese knives to complete my set.

Can't say I'm a collector, since I haven't really spent a whole in amassing alot of knives, but I do want to buy some nicer knives to use in my kitchen. Part of my wonders if I need/should spend so much money on some of these knives I've seen (although my mouth waters when I look at them), but I've been served fairly well by a $70 set of Farberware that has lasted over 10 years. Just hit them with a steel before I use them and put a stone on them ever so often and they've stayed sharp and served their purpose. Then when I got my Hattori, I felt a real difference and part of me wonders if that is the way with many of the other nicer knives out there that I've seen.

Not sure if any of you out there feel the same way, but I feel bad about tossing out my old set--sort of attached to them even though all the years and meals they've help me through--but I don't know what to do with them either.

Well, looking forwards getting to know some people here and learning more and deciding on what to get next!

albert

Welcome!

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Welcome!

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ayeung74 View Post
    Can't say I'm a collector
    Don't worry, that will be fixed shortly.

Welcome aboard!

I didn't start off intending to amass a collection either
    Len

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Welcome. U can always give them to a student

As u probably have figured out your wallet will hate u.

Yeah I can already foresee that happening. Any recommendations on other places to shop online besides JCK?

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Welcome. U can always give them to a student

As u probably have figured out your wallet will hate u.

Welcome to the forums!!! The place where a man and his money part ways forever!

Welcome fellow Texan. I understand what you are saying about your old set. It's like a comfortable set of torn up jeans. BUT new better fitting ones are great fun too!! Besides, money is made to be spent.
    Do not tell me I can't, let me succeed or fail. Even a failure is a small success.

+ Reply to Thread