New guy to forum

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayeung74

Reaction score
I recently found this site and I am excited to have joined. I didn't know there were so many people that liked knives, but it great to be a part of it. I live in Houston,TX and I'm a food lover and knife enthusiast. Looking to get some new knives and trying to avoid getting a "set" from the stores. Ever since I bought my Hattori HD gyuto from JCK as a gift to myself, I've been hooked on getting more japanese knives to complete my set.

Can't say I'm a collector, since I haven't really spent a whole in amassing alot of knives, but I do want to buy some nicer knives to use in my kitchen. Part of my wonders if I need/should spend so much money on some of these knives I've seen (although my mouth waters when I look at them), but I've been served fairly well by a $70 set of Farberware that has lasted over 10 years. Just hit them with a steel before I use them and put a stone on them ever so often and they've stayed sharp and served their purpose. Then when I got my Hattori, I felt a real difference and part of me wonders if that is the way with many of the other nicer knives out there that I've seen.

Not sure if any of you out there feel the same way, but I feel bad about tossing out my old set--sort of attached to them even though all the years and meals they've help me through--but I don't know what to do with them either.

Well, looking forwards getting to know some people here and learning more and deciding on what to get next!

albert

Welcome aboard!

I didn't start off intending to amass a collection either ;)

Welcome. U can always give them to a student

As u probably have figured out your wallet will hate u.

Yeah I can already foresee that happening. Any recommendations on other places to shop online besides JCK?

Welcome. U can always give them to a student

As u probably have figured out your wallet will hate u.

Welcome to the forums!!! The place where a man and his money part ways forever!

Welcome fellow Texan. I understand what you are saying about your old set. It's like a comfortable set of torn up jeans. BUT new better fitting ones are great fun too!! Besides, money is made to be spent.

Man, I've just joined and posted twice and I'm already thinking about sending some PM's to purchase some used knives!!! I think this is going to be my new demise...

Wait until you start looking at customs and thinking about upgrading handles on knives, that is when you know you have a problem!! It is well worth the addiction and this is a great group of people. You will find yourself doing a lot of this :fanning: and this :bigeek: at some of the beautiful work these guys put out.

:ntmy:

Good to see another Texan! I'm putting together a meetup in a while, you are welcome to come up to Hurst if you feel like making the drive. Just a day of standing around talking knives.

It'll be in weeks/months from now. Who knows, if you are like some of us, you'll have 5 customs on order by then!

Thanks for the invite. Man, I was just going to join to learn and get some research, but people here are really friendly and nice. Just one day and already so many welcomed me--already sort of feel like one of the members--what a great bunch people. Look forward to getting to know some folks here. Thanks!

Welcome!! Prepare to think about things you hadn't thought about before. Prepare to learn things about people you hadn't considered before......Oh...and prepare to spend money on knives you never knew you needed!!!

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll enjoy rhe ride. The people in this forum really know their stuff and you will see some real works of art from the makers. Have fun and stay sharp.

Yeah I can already foresee that happening. Any recommendations on other places to shop online besides JCK?
Japanese Knife Imports. I've bought and used a lot of knives from a lot of places. Jon is nice, knowledgeable, does a ton of testing both in house and in pro kitchens before he stocks anything and then he only brings in the good stuff.

Welcome!! Prepare to think about things you hadn't thought about before. Prepare to learn things about people you hadn't considered before......Oh...and prepare to spend money on knives you never knew you needed!!!

Thank. I've been hearing this theme over and over...

Japanese Knife Imports. I've bought and used a lot of knives from a lot of places. Jon is nice, knowledgeable, does a ton of testing both in house and in pro kitchens before he stocks anything and then he only brings in the good stuff.

+1:doublethumbsup:
and Welcome!!

Welcome to the Knut House! watch you're fingers!

Latest posts

Back