Any good single-bevel lefties out there?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayeung74

Reaction score
I'm a 5"9', slender, a left-handed user hoping to find the right match. Can't seem to find anything but for the right-handers--I can't deny it anymore-I'm a Lefty looking for a left-bevel.

YOU: A left-sided, single-bevel Santoku, new or used willing to separate from owner. I'm open to you being a Suji or Petty or even a Honkotsu. If you have or know of where I can find, please let me know.

Become right-handed, thats what I did.

Santoku, sujihiki, petty are double bevel knives, though there are a few exceptions out there. Hankotsu is typically a heavily biased double bevel.
There are some lefties here that could probably help with the left handed knife issues.

Thanks for the FYI, I thought they can come in any configuration based on your preference. I've only used double-bevels and I heard that single-bevels and help minimize food sticking on the blade so I wanted to look for one, but I look out there they only seem to have them for right-ies.

Technique and grind help reduce food sticking. I wouldn't sweat the left-handed thing too much. There are tons of great 50/50s out there.

An usuba would have close to the same profile as a santoku and is a single bevel. However it is designed for special Japanese vegetable work.A left handed single bevel is going to cost you considerably more $$$. Look on Korin or contact Mari and see if she can help you if you are set on a single bevel lefty.

Those aren't single bevel knives. Single bevels would be like Yanagiba, Deba, Kiritsuke and Kamagata Usuba.

It is hard to find factory made left handed knives. They are usually a lot more money. Custom knives are a different story, cause...well...it's custom.

OK, so maybe I won't bother too much about that then. Or perhaps just get a custom knife made :) thank for the tips!

If you are looking for a good santoku, Jon Broida of JKI has a Yoshihiro on his webstore. The SKD core will take and keep a great edge.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/yoshihiro/yoshihiro-165mm-skd-santoku.html
+1 I like the nakiri made of the same material. For a lefty custom, I'd go with Rottman who is a lefty, himself.

As Eamon mentioned, sounds like you are looking for a heavily biased edge but not necesarily a single bevel. It does help a lot with sticking but they tend to "steer" some so they take some adjustment to use.

Back