D. Martell Summer School 2012

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that a lot of you guys know all about summer school (LOL) :D and well I thought I'd offer up my own version of it this year. We're going to run a sharpening class at the end of June here at my shop. I had meant to schedule something earlier so that it wasn't as warm as it will be then but time has slipped away from me and now we're getting into summer - like it or not.

Since it will be warm in the shop and you will be sweating for sure (even with the giant fans running) we're going to offer this class at a discounted rate ($50 OFF).

This one will also be different in that it'll be on a Sunday so as to accommodate more professional cooks as well as the weekend chefs.

The plan is for it to be a beginner to mid level & refresher class but if the attendance turns out to be more experienced folks then we can switch modes and go more advanced, we'll have to play that by ear though.

I've been really missing the hand sharpening talk lately and hope that this class will fill up and be a lively one and I'm really looking forward to it already.

Here's the sign up details...

Summer School 2012

Also, we'll offer a 10% discount (to any student signed up for this class) on any item listed in our online store if ordered for and picked up at class that day. :)

Dave, i think you need to come to Ashokan and teach us all how to sharpen stuff....wink wink, nudge nudge :D

Not for nothing but I'm hoping a few more for the advanced stuff sign up. :D

Not for nothing but I'm hoping a few more for the advanced stuff sign up. :D

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'd like to do an advanced class myself sometime. We've only done one so far and it was a blast.

Damn. Late June might have been possible for me. July 9th I leave for the other side of the World so the 8th is out. Oh, well.

I'm the opposite. Late June would have been impossible, early July might be.

Summer School 2012

Also, we'll offer a 10% discount (to any student signed up for this class) on any item listed in our online store if ordered for and picked up at class that day. :)

Do you think you'll have any Atoma plates on-hand?

Perfect timing Dave - I'm ready for a refresher... and I've ditched the ebay knives! See you then.

how many spots are left? may need to buy last second, we have been busy at the restaurant.

In. I think I can go a bit more advanced even though I am youtube/book taught.

I'll be "extremely-last-minute" if I can make it, hoping there are spots left when I know my situation. I might be able to fly into Philly, then continue on from there on Monday. Also I'd need to ship my class materials to you (the knives, at least) and arrange to have them shipped back. A bit of a PITA, but believe it or not -- even in my tiny clown car that easily gets 60 mpg on the highway -- it's still cheaper for me than driving the 900 mile round trip. FWIW, I'm an absolute beginner but a quick study, and the knives I'd be bringing are worthy (Masa KS 270 gyuto and Suisin ginsanko 300 yanagi).

Next question: what would be a good suggested coarse-medium-fine stone set from the selection you offer? Beston 500, Bester 1200, Rika 5000? With a Suehiro holder, and maybe get a Kitayama 8000-ish for finishing?

sweet, this next couple weeks are going to be very busy for me. I'll know for sure a week out. hopefully it works out.

Next question: what would be a good suggested coarse-medium-fine stone set from the selection you offer? Beston 500, Bester 1200, Rika 5000? With a Suehiro holder, and maybe get a Kitayama 8000-ish for finishing?

Hi Franceso, I hope that it works out that you can make it, sure would be nice to have you attend. :)

For the stones, yes you picked wisely with your selection, that's exactly what I'd recommend although I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Kitayama unless you have a yanagiba or usuba.

We had two more sign-ups today....looks like summer school is filling up nicely.

Don't let me fail you for bringing only German (or custom American) knives to class and forgetting your stones too. :D

Just a little remnder to those who are attending that this is a Japanese knife sharpening class and you should make sure that you have the requirements. I've learned it's best to mention this beforehand because there's always someone... :bat:

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/product-p/smmrskool2012.htm

Well, I'm going to bring one old bull-nosed butcher's knife anyway, so you can tell me why I can't get it sharp.

Back