Adding Integral Bolster Western Handle as a Custom Order Option

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
It will be a month or two before I start putting those out, but I wanted to give an early heads up for those who might be interested. Those who have an order with me, can change to this type, if they like.

For the foreseeable future, 52100 will be the only option. Maybe I will add W2 later.

These will be one-piece, forged out of round 52100 bar stock.

They will be hidden tang as well as full tang knives.

Specs and dimensions are to come.

M

I have been in a search for a Western handle for some time now.

I like to make what I like and this type appeals to me (as has had in the past) most, despite being the most challenging to make, plus I have to source blanks, as I have no capacity of forging them myself.

Despite all the difficulty of making and the cost, I am all for it.

M

Michael Rader and Bill Burke are the ones responsible. :D

I will also play with peened bolsters, but my preferences are clearly slanted toward integrals. Love that seamless transition.

M

No Sir,
this is going to be slanted only in the front. Sort of like BK does his.

M

No, but I will have a prototype (unless I mess it up) at ECG on Sunday.

M

Looks like it's time to check the couch cushions for $$$...

:sofa:

WOW. I don't know how I missed that your online order form was up and running. I had PM'd and email several times when you first started making knives and was kinda bummed out that I wasnt on the ball enough to get in on the first batch, but I think that it all worked out in the end. I have a bit of of an integral bolster obsession and am thrilled to get inline at this point.

I know that obsessive R&D and then exhaustive mgf time puts delivery time out pretty far into the future, but I'm already excited! Let me know if you need pass-around / testing feedback.

Integral hilts sound vaguely familiar, especially to old guys. Aiming high?

And what, now you're offering G-10 and micarta handles? Sounds likes Bob Loveless all over.

Wait a minute. Look at Marko's custom order form.
I really like the black micarta ferrules on Dave's knives, and I asked Marko about micarta a long time ago, only to be rebuffed.
But a Marko with a G-10 or micarta handle would be a major transition.
The mind reels. At least my mind . . .

G10 was as a utilitarian option meant for Western handles only. For wa, I will continue using horn, metal and wood, no plastic.

On a second thought, I removed G10 as an option. Sometimes fewer options is better than too many.

M

What's the beef with G10? I could see a plain black G10 as being very nice for a pro kitchen.

Latest posts

Back