D. Martell Carter to Martell Conversion

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Here is Andrew's 210(?)mm Carter wabocho (?) that's been converted from the stock wa ho wood/plastic ferrule handle to a western style using Hawaiian Koa & African Blackwood ferrule (woods from BurlSource) with a copper spacer & copper mosaic pin.

CarterMartellKnifeRehandle.jpg

I took the liberty of rounding the spine, polishing the choil, and sharpening it too. I wanted to push it closer towards Murray's Intl Pro line.....knuck knuck knuck :biggrin:

This was Andrew's idea to go western and he requested koa but otherwise the rest is me. My vision here was to go with something that looked like a cross between wa & western and have a touch of a look that Murray himself might do. I think I got in the ballpark.

The koa, as mentioned before, is the best I've used and it simply can't be photographed. It has metallic flash & movement and lots of depth and tone changes - nice stuff!

So I'll bring this along for you on Sunday Andrew - see you then. :)

P1010020.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010018.JPG

Last edited:
That is really cool, great work Dave! I would not mind at all having that one in my knife block ;) Glad the wood works for you also, and hopefully for Andrew. As much as I love the regular striped/curly koa, in many cases the 'wilder' ones are much more interesting IMHO.

Stefan

That is really cool, great work Dave! I would not mind at all having that one in my knife block ;) Glad the wood works for you also, and hopefully for Andrew. As much as I love the regular striped/curly koa, in many cases the 'wilder' ones are much more interesting IMHO.

Stefan

Turns out the koa was from BurlSource...sorry for that mix up Stefan. I'm using a block of your koa for another handle so that's why I got screwy. :dazed:

The knife looks fantastic, Dave! The copper spacer and blackwood ferrule go perfectly with both the mosaic pin and the koa. It's some sort of cruel joke that I'm passing this off to Marko to get a saya on the same day I get it.

Oh and for those wondering it's around a 180mm funy.

The knife looks fantastic, Dave! The copper spacer and blackwood ferrule go perfectly with both the mosaic pin and the koa. It's some sort of cruel joke that I'm passing this off to Marko to get a saya on the same day I get it.

Oh and for those wondering it's around a 180mm funy.

Oh man this is going to be so cool with a Marko saya added, you better take some pictures when you get it back.

I'm glad you like it Andrew, it was my pleasure. :)

I've been speaking with Stefan and hoepfully we will have a very similiar project for you shortly...:doublethumbsup:

Sweet knife that handle takes the cake the bar is set.

holy ******* ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....thats all i gotta say bout that!!!!.....awesome.....ryan

Turns out the koa was from BurlSource...sorry for that mix up Stefan. I'm using a block of your koa for another handle so that's why I got screwy. :dazed:

No problem, still a great handle :)

Stefan

P.S. And we all know that you were screwy before that... ;)

Grand Slam !

That blade was meant for that handle or vice-versa.
Please see the Marriages From Heaven thread. :doublethumbsup:

Just excellent execution Dave.

That looks awesome, Dave. Congratulations to you and Andrew!

Looking good, Dave -

Is that the knife I will be making a saya for?

M

Or, hold your ground for top billing here...

The Mar-ter

Usually don't comment because I am not really a western handle kind of guy, but that handle really looks great!

It's some sort of cruel joke that I'm passing this off to Marko to get a saya on the same day I get it.

Hopefully Marko forgets it in the back seat of my car on our way back from the ECG. Err, I mean, hopefully he DOESN'T forget it.

Great job Dave. You are right, handle and blade go together really well. I find it very Fish-esque as well.

Back